Tribute to Norm

Discussion in 'Gone But Never Forgotten' started by 76zimmer, May 25, 2019.

1. GWeakland620

GWeakland620 THE CK5 Crayon Eater Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    This is one of my top threads now. He truly is a legend.

Big Ray and 76zimmer like this.
  2. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    thanks for the thoughts and words brothers...he was unique for sure. I'm glad some of you got to meet him, and he saw a few of my dreams come true in the Vette, the Jeepster, and the Maiden. He loved helping me, and riding in each of them. He was pretty simple and practical when it come to things....aesthetics didn't mean much, functionality was everything.
    He will be buried at Fort Custer natl cemetary with full military honors on the 4th of June. That is the earliest they can have him.
    For his viewing he will be dressed in his military dress uniform. He was a very proud veteran.

campfire, Capt Ron, F.S.F.W and 11 others like this.
  3. 76zimmer

Build(s):
  4. 76zimmer

Build(s):
    After having the flag folded and presented to the family, I don’t know how anyone can kneel for the Anthem.

5. 76zimmer

Build(s):
    Going to be a strangely different Father’s Day weekend this year. I wish I could have taken him for ice cream one more time.
    Pops last week with us was not so good. His last night was a turn for the worse, and after a severe abdominal bout, respiratory attack, and suspected heart attack, he acknowledged to my daughter, the Pallative care supervisor, and myself that he had enough. The rest of his last 12 hours was just keeping him comfortable and being with him. We weren’t expecting him to pass, but he slept the last few hours and just stopped breathing. Peaceful and pain free at last.

6. fastazz81

fastazz81 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Problem is so many people have no clue what it means to truly sacrifice everything for ones country with no questions asked , it was definitely a different generation and mindset of people back then , sad that they are slowly disappearing and all we have left is brainwashed clueless people. Sorry for your loss . He was truly part of the greatest generation.

7. Big Ray

Big Ray 1 ton status Premium Member

I tell you the truth, if watching the Flag Fold Ceremony doesn't move you then you have no soul.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss Dave.

76zimmer likes this.
  8. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    Sorry for you loss. I'm glad you were able to spend so much time with him and share all those experiences.

76zimmer likes this.
  9. dbcorvairracer

dbcorvairracer Registered Member Premium Member

So sorry for your loss. I always enjoyed seeing when he was visiting and helping out with projects. This last winter I lost my grandpa (WWII Veteran) and we went out to see him with our infant son it was difficult seeing the pain he was in and him not being able to do the things he had always done but we had to go home and told him my sister and her kid were coming in 2 days and that is exactly how long he lasted, they saw him and after he was exhausted he went to sleep and they left and then he passed. It's crazy to think how the human body can hang on until the person has seen what they need to see to be content. It's never easy but when you can see that they saw who they wanted to see and then let go I feel it's infinitely easier than when they are taken unexpectedly. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Derrick

76zimmer and Big Ray like this.
  10. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    That is by far the hardest thing I have ever done in my life, folding the flag for my father and presenting it to my mother.

I feel your pain brother.

76zimmer likes this.
  11. 76zimmer

Build(s):
    Thanks brothers
    Norm held high regard for the CK5ers!

Capt Ron likes this.