Truck Drivers Advice Needed (or slap me back to reality}

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Desert_K5, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Desert_K5

Desert_K5 1/2 ton status Vendor

Build(s):
    Good idea!

2. 6872xtc

6872xtc make mine modified Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Wade won't like this comment, but I would stay away from Freightliner for several reasons. All white wires with the circuit numbers printed on them. Had one try to catch on fire from electrical while I was towing it... There's other things, like pain in the butt to work on some if the air plumbing on the firewall, the plastic interior stuff goes to crap and the brake valve isn't held well....
    Western Star is built by Freightliner, but is better designed in several ways.

International is another that I wouldn't own. Several reasons.

I would go for a Pete or KW. Better cab insulation, better wiring, easier to work on the air system. I have seen the cab and doors last longer with fewer repairs on the door hardware.
    Some parts are more expensive than others, but I have found expensive parts on all of them. It does make a difference on the mark up that each dealer charges. Being in a small town makes them fairly competitive here, but that sure doesn't mean the best price every time, and your local area will be different, I am sure.
    I personally wouldn't hesitate to knock a twin screw down to s single axle if it wasn't needed for weight, but most probably won't want to go through that, whether they hire it done or DIY. As far as I know, most states will let you go to 20K lbs on a single axle, if the axle is rated for it. But I suggest checking your state laws. I know that Colorado and Utah have some differences. I could gross 200K with an annual permit in Colorado, but only 125K in Utah. 36K on tandems in CO, 34K in Utah for regular stuff.

Here in Colorado, if a truck is under 26K gross weight in a straight truck, and pulls less than 10K and doesn't have air brakes, then no CDL required for commercial purposes. Local delivery is exempt from logs if using a time card.

So see what Nevada says, is my advice.

3. JoshHefnerX

JoshHefnerX 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    My mom is a truck driver and from a driving perspective she's liked the Volvo's and Freightliners. She doesn't to any work on them at all, so cant say for that.

Desert_K5 likes this.
  4. Wes Harden

Wes Harden 1/2 ton status Premium Member

yeah the all white wires is a super PITA, true the brake valves aren't secured well, get a drive that like to punch them the plates crack and end up in the dash.

6872xtc and Desert_K5 like this.
  5. Desert_K5

Build(s):
    Thanks for the advice guys I appreciate it. If i had the dough I'd make a deal with Wade but it's not in the cards. What I do see is a ton of viable box trucks here and Cali. One of my work clients picked up a Kenworth box truck for $3k due to CA regulations and just drove it here. This is something I could do and I know where to get the box popped off. A buddy of mine would be happy to pull it for a storage unit on his property. This would leave it open for a flat bed with dove tail build. Probably have to twist @Fastereddie's arm to supervise lol!

@6872xtc I will look at the laws here because other than actually knowing them, I've rented some large commercial trucks before without a CDL here, so it's worth checking out.

6872xtc likes this.
  6. sweetk30

sweetk30 let it all BURN ! Premium Member

Build(s):
    My old boss had a hell of a time years ago with a tractor he had converted to a 28ft 2 car rollback. The plates each year were crazy . He finally got the local assembly man for our area involved to get the dmv to change it . So look in to this also .

7. ktmoutfront

ktmoutfront GnomeWorks LLC Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    If GVW is under 26k, no CDL even for work. But would need DOT numbers and inspections.

8. ktmoutfront

ktmoutfront GnomeWorks LLC Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    @6872xtc My wires are all yellow. I have had to chase a couple of cab wire issues. Was no big deal. But I like wiring.

9. 6872xtc

Build(s):
    Yeah, I remember seeing some of the all yellow. And yours is the "business class" cab, so that could be a factor. The circuit numbering is probably fine in some ways, if you are color-blind then it is better. I just remembered having the one truck start smoking while I was towing it, I had to pull breakers since they wouldn't pop, and one of the other guys had one that actually lit an electrical fire while hanging from the wrecker to get decked onto another. Heard stories from the Freightliner techs.
    We have a Freightliner at my work now that has an intermittent problem with the A/C clutch staying on with the truck off. When I found out what was killing the batteries, the boss wouldn't let me have the truck to find the problem and an hour was enough time. It has since cured itself, and then done it again several times, they jump start it and never say a word to me, I hear about it through the grape vine.
    One of our Western Star trucks had a wiring harness problem that would send the Allison to neutral. Chafed harness due to poor routing.
    So far out of twelve KW trucks, one wiring problem so far. And the only reason that it stopped the truck was because the driver shut it off in the oilfield after he was told to keep moving back to pavement. It wouldn't crank back up. Dork..

10. eclipse85k10

eclipse85k10 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    I second a old pete or KW. Biggest downside to them is they are getting more expensive because they are desirable. I've driven and worked on 1990 to 2004 Peterbilts for the last 15 years. They definitely have their problems but because they are so common they are easy to get parts for, new and used parts.

Peterbilt models like a 385 and 377 are cheaper to pick up because they have square body fenders and not wanted like the long hood 379 I drive now. They are the same truck but different hood and set back front axle. Set back front axle will be good for turning radius but worse ride because your sitting closer to the front axle. I have been planning to get one of these trucks to build my own RV.

Peterbilt 330 is a more medium duty. Same cab but small hood. Usually come with a Cummins 8.3 or a C7 cat. A lot of them have a 6spd manual and low rear end gears so they are terrible on the highway. Designed for vocational work in town.

Kenworth T600 is similar to the peterbilt 385. Boxy hood and not the cool W900 but same truck essentially and cheaper to pickup. I'd steer way clear of a T2000, they usually sell way cheaper. They were Kenworths first big cab truck. They are absolute junk riddled with lots of problems. When I worked at the KW dealer everyone dreaded worked on them.

You should be able to find a truck with a Detroit Series 60 for cheap. Most people prefer the cat and don't understand the Detroit. The 1998 peterbilt I've drove for the last 6 years had a series 60 detroit up until recently it got a cat transplant. Long reason why we swapped but for a RV or rig hauler the series 60 would be a great motor. They get decent mileage and are realtively easy to work on. We pull heavy loads in the mountains and the Detroit just doesn't make the torque we need. But if I bought a truck for personal use I would have no problem running a series 60. Hope this was helpful and I didn't ramble on too much :haha:

Capt Ron, 6872xtc and Desert_K5 like this.
  11. 6872xtc

Build(s):
    @eclipse85k10 good points there.
    And I would look at a T300 as well. Same as a Pete 330.

Capt Ron likes this.
  12. Desert_K5

Build(s):
    What about the mid sized GMC GT series with the CAT power plants?

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 8.08.31 PM.png

13. Desert_K5

Build(s):
    This is one I've been coming back to. 86 with an 18' bed.

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 8.09.49 PM.png

regal403 and sweetk30 like this.
  14. 6872xtc

Build(s):
    I drove a couple of Kodiak trucks with the Cat 3116. They were pretty good, I never liked the little cabover ones. Never drove one.

I would consider that '86 Pete, classic cool!
    It may have some things that aren't as easy to do for repairs. Inboard rear drums possibly. But if the brakes and drums are in good shape, you shouldn't have to worry about that for quite a while.

Desert_K5 and Capt Ron like this.
  15. eclipse85k10

eclipse85k10 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    What are the specs on it. Engine, trans, rear suspension...

16. Desert_K5

Build(s):
    It's 359 series with a Cummins and a 13 speed

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 10.35.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 10.35.12 AM.png

Truckman4life likes this.
  17. Truckman4life

Truckman4life 3/4 Ton Status Premium Member

Build(s):
    Good set up if you need a truck that big. Simple to work on and most stuff can be bought aftermarket. That's a big cam Cummins. Mostly all mechanical and being a long nose easy to get to everything.

Capt Ron likes this.
  18. Desert_K5

Build(s):
    Thing is I don't need it, I can put it to work but it wouldn't get used realistically. It's something I've been mulling around since I started looking for a trailer years back. There's a buddy of mine that has a source for cheap day cabs and box trucks is what got me thinking (bad) I procrastinated this years Blazer Bash and bought a trailer in a hurry and didn't get what I really wanted (Peterbilt).

Truckman4life likes this.
  19. Capt Ron

Capt Ron Minus .7 liters Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Did you end up getting the 8x20 Diamond C?

Desert_K5 likes this.
  20. Desert_K5

Build(s):
    No, I would have had that one but the trailer place was a joke. I went down after confirming multiple times with them online that it was in stock. I got there and couldn't find anyone to help me, wandered around the yard (20 minutes or so) and not a deck over or the 8x20 in stock. Tried finding a salesman and when I did all he was concerned about was closing the gate and going home, right after he said they don't have it in stock. Idiots.

Capt Ron likes this.