Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Unique steering

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NorthernRedNeck, Jun 15, 2001.

1. NorthernRedNeck

NorthernRedNeck Registered Member

Well, driving my k5 (1989 Jimmy 350/700 with 31.5x10.5 a.k.a.stock) has gotten interesting lately.... seems at low speeds i am getting 1 hell of a weird feeling and some noises through my steering, it seems to mainly be when i turn left and is definetely more noticeable at low speeds....any ideas? Jimmy has me spooked to drive! lol

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Can you be more specific?

What is weird about it? And what sort of noises are you hearing?

<font color=green>MIKE</font color=green> - "Hukd on fawnics,werkd fer me!"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

3. NorthernRedNeck

well, at low speeds the steering is "rachety", and when i turn left, can hear sumthang clunking- it's 2 weird, cause at speed, it's fine- i kinda wundered 'bout the steering knuckles- think i m sniffin' glue?

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Rachety? Sounds like a power steering related or somethign maybe binding... Check your fluid and see if your steering stabilizer or something esle is catching.

Have y ou checked your wheel joints? The clunking maybe a wheel joint going...

<font color=green>MIKE</font color=green> - "Hukd on fawnics,werkd fer me!"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Check the adjusting sleeve on the drag link (the mini tie rod that goes from the arm on the steering box to the arm on the steering knuckle). Mine had twisted with the adjusting nuts pointed so they hit when I turned (but I think mine did it turning right with a raised steering arm), but it's worth a shot. Check for shiny/clean surfaces to see if there has been any rubbing/interference of parts.
    P.S. Did this happen all of a sudden/gradually? After normal driving or wheeling?
    Check everything, there is alot of items to wear out on the front ends that can cause all types of noise. Check tierod ends, adjusting sleeves, ball joints, u-joints (especially on full time transfer case equipped rigs), draglinks, steering arms, steering stabilizer, shocks, shock mounts, u-bolts, springs, spring hangers, spring bushings, spring pads, spring top plates, swaybar, steering arm where it attaches to steering box (can sometimes strip), STEERING BOX and where it attaches to frame. These things are known to crack. If a box is loose or frame is cracked, it can make a popping sound. There are other things to check like core support mounts, cab mounts, fender attachements but start with the others, they are the most likely culprit.

If you didn't built it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

6. NorthernRedNeck

k, well i've dun the once over on the steering (with the wheels still down) i don't see any weird movement, i wuz kinda worried 'bout the box & draglink myself, the weird part is that everythang seems tight, it is definetely getting progrssively worse, and i kinda had my heart set on yankin' the top!! is there any way i can tell if its just a ball joint/steering knuckle on the ground... dunno y, but that is wht i am leanin' 2-wards- as i can't find any other noticeable wear( shiny spots)