Water Woes: I have discovered I'm an idiot

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fordum, Aug 2, 2020.

1. JoshHefnerX

JoshHefnerX 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    5.8 is a bit off... hopefully after calibrating it's not quite so bad.

2. Fordum

Fordum 1 ton status Premium Member

Quick update, with some equipment information.
    The filter has been holding with the partially straightened top plate and the new lid. I finally got in a new top plate, and as I suspected, its completely flat.
    So, how did that top plate get funnel shaped?
    Its 11 inches in dia. Doing the math, its almost 35 square inches. The pump kicks off about 45 psi, but deadheads somewhere between 60 and 80.
    So, at 60psi, the plate will see a pressure of 2100lbs and at 80, 2800lbs. But, I can't believe that the plate would bend due to those pressure.
    Since, under normal operation, the pressures are pretty much equal above and below the plate.
    However, then you have to take the sand into consideration. Remember, due to my sorriness and stupidity, it was unserviced for almost two years. when I opened it, the sand was all the way up to the top of the filter housing under the top plate. I suspect that every time the pump cycled after the housing got full, there was a tiny spike just as the pump kicked on. Due to the stopped up filter, the pressures did not equalize as fast as normal.
    Plus, a tiny amount of sand and fine silt came in with the water. That pressure spike pushed the top plate up a tiny amount, and some sand grains and silt slipped under preventing it from moving all the way back down. Over the years, thousands of cycles eventually caused the top plate to take a set.
    I have not put the new plate on yet, I need to do some other things also, so I am going to try to do them all at the same time. I need to cut the drain elbow off and put on one that can be tightened correctly. I also need to install the new differential pressure gauge.
    The old one was beyond repair. The diaphragm was basically rotted, and I cannot find a listing for parts. Plus, the new one has an indicating needle that stays at the highest point the gauge reads until you reset it. This is much better than the original. Remember, a differential gauge only reads the difference in two inputs. When the pump is running, the input to the filter is going to be greater than the output due to the restrictions in the filter. But, when the pump kicks off, the pressures equalize.

Before, I had to run some water until the pump kicked on to read the amount of filter restriction. Now, I can just look at the red needle and know when its time to clean the filter.

That does not solve another problem I have. How to tell if something is wrong out in the pumphouse? I considered running a video line out there and having a camera hooked to my outside camera system so I could see any leaks or read the gauge from the house.
    Doable, but a pain. Its about 60 feet from the house to the pumphouse, and I would have to run the cable through the trees laying on the pumphouse, under the drive-through, and in the house.
    Instead, I decided to just monitor the water pressure in the house.
    Quick bit of info you don't have about my system yet:
    As you know, I have two wells, complete with dual tanks. But I also have two one inch lines going to the house.
    One, reduces down to 3/4 inch and supplies only the heat pump. The other stays 1 inch until it branches off and supplies the rest of the house.
    Either well system can supply both lines. And each line has its own cutoff at the pumphouse, so I can work on one system while the other keeps going.
    This way, when the heat pump kicks in while I am taking a shower, the added flow does not cause loss of volume in my shower line. There is slight drop in pressure, barely noticeable. The difference between cut-in and cut-out of the well has more effect.
    Unless the filter is getting stopped up, or the gasket has blown out.
    So, I went to Automation Direct, https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/home/home
    And ordered some parts. My refrigerator has a built in ice maker, that I quit using a long time ago. I pretty much never use ice in my drinks, and it does not make enough to ice down some fish.
    Behind the fridge, there is a 1/4 inch flared copper line. I ordered a 4-20ma, 0-100psi pressure sending unit. It has a 1/4 inch mpt fitting. An adapter from male pipe to male flare is cheap.
    The readout is line powered, which means it gets its power from the voltage in the current loop. I have lots of 12vdc wall wart power supplies, and the fridge water hookup is just across the hall from my room where all my monitoring equipment is.
    So, a small dc power supply, some cheap wire and I can have real time monitoring of the house water pressure. Once I learn what the pressure should be while the heat pump is running, I can tell how healthy my system outside is.

I include the information on the pressure system, for anyone interested, plus, it would not be difficult to add it to a K5 as a oil pressure gauge.
    Total cost for parts minus the power supply which I already had, and with a 21 foot cable, was $187.50 plus tax with free shipping.
    Note the size of the display. Its a 1/32 DIN size, which is fairly small. Probably would be fine in a dash.
    I'll post another picture when I get it powered up. Meanwhile, here it is unpowered. Along with the sending unit.
    Holding it in my hand for scale.

IMG_1227.JPG IMG_1228.JPG IMG_1229.JPG IMG_1235.JPG

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020 at 10:35 PM
    wasted wages, bigjbear and bp71k5 like this.
  3. campfire

campfire Adventure is out there! Premium Member

Build(s):
    So...you outlived your designated funeral messenger? :eek1:

Good job! :bow:

:haha:

wasted wages likes this.
  4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I outlived two doctors so far...one was only in his 50's too!..

wasted wages likes this.
  5. Fordum

In a related thought, I have got to quit looking up old posts.
    I was watching the Snow Leopard video, and remembered some pics I had of a bobcat that chased one of my wild chickens up the power pole.
    I came home, found the power off and the pole fuse blown. Turned out, the transformer was blown, and the power crew had to replace it.
    While the guy was up in the bucket, he looked down and said there was a really big dead cat in the bushes right below him. I checked, and it was a medium sized bobcat with one of my chickens in his teeth and claws.
    From what we could tell, the chicken flew up to the top of the pole, and probably perched on one of the high voltage lines. The cat climbed up and was touching a ground wire when he grabbed the chicken.
    The results killed him and the chicken and blew the transformer and fuse. I would have said it was impressive that his teeth and claws were still locked in the chicken, except I doubt he had much to do with it. The voltage did it for him.

I was going to post those pics as an example of a cat obsessing with his prey like the snow leopard, but they are not on this computer.
    I transferred all the vital stuff when I fired off the new one, but have not gotten around to moving all of it, due to problems with the old one.
    But, I figured I might have already posted them, so I did a search. Did not find them, but got depressed looking.

So many K5ers who I remember who have vanished. Being this far out, I have never met many members, so don't know about any of their personal lives.
    If some just got bored of the place, that is fine, but when you see posts by folks you used to see all the time, and had tons of posts, you have to wonder.
    I know about a couple, Shewheeler, Blazooki, and of course, rdn2blazer. But so many more I just don't know what happened to them.
    Such as: Dremu, or Desert Rat. Some are still here, but on other sections that I don't visit, so I don't see them much. And, I'm sure some got kicked off, something I expect to happen to me just any day now.......

I guess the reason I'm rambling like this, (when have I not?) is that I got a new phone today.............
    OK, you can stop wondering.
    My old phone is too old to easily transfer the contacts to the new one, so I have been scrolling through them and typing them into the computer so to transfer them that way. Up till now, I just did a data dump from one phone to another.

You cannot imagine how depressing it is to see all the numbers I have to delete or just not transfer. Some are favorite businesses that are no longer around. That is not too bad, but I miss them.
    The bad part is the people who are gone. There are dozens if not a hundred! One poor guy, I had 8 listings for him. He was a contractor my father and I used for decades. He could not get away from us. I had his home, car phone, two poker playing buddies's houses, two bars he hung out in after work, and favorite restaurants.
    Dead and gone 4 years now.
    Not to mention my sitting up for a couple of hours last night with my nitro spray waiting to see what that feeling in my chest was.
    Indigestion as it turned out.
    I don't really need expressions of sympathy, sighs of relief, that sort of thing when I go, but I would hate to leave folks wondering. Or hoping........
    OK, enough maudlin foolishness. I'm going to bed. If I don't wake up, or that little hurricane just offshore sneaks in an blows something down on me tonight, you folks are just out of luck wondering where I went.
    Oh, and @diesel4me My aunt was diagnosed with black melanoma metastasized about 50 years ago. They tried an experimental treatment on her. It must have worked, even though it killed pretty much everybody they tried it on afterward. She lived another 60 or so years cancer free.
    She outlived 5 doctors, all of whom died of cancer..........

bigjbear and wasted wages like this.
  6. wasted wages

wasted wages 1 ton status Premium Member

I miss a lot of the old CK5'rs... Fumes,Dozer Resurrection Joe, and a littney of others that passed away, or self deducted and got themselves banned. The "ban hammer" was in full swing back then too...:yikes:

It was fun to login daily to keep up with who was dogging who,,, who had written a crazy long post about things going on in their lives, or just odd funny posts. Rezzy joe could sling some tall tales!! :whistle::whistle:

Funniest thing was to watch trolls get backed into a corner, come out swinging.. the mods would warn them over and over and you could just see it coming, but the troll just kept on and then poof !!! banned.
    Most of the bans were temporary, but once back they couldn't help themselves... they would do something stupid again and poof.... gone again.

There were a few people that surprised me, seemingly stable individuals that just went full mental at the end of their time on here...one or two stand out, just can't remember the screen names...

Another interesting thing was there were a lot of people that were on the forum that had no affiliation to trucks etc... didn't even own one...no less a 4x4 or K5... It was a fun time to be a CK5' r for sure...:waytogo:

bigjbear likes this.
  7. Fordum

Wages, a couple of things, then I'm going to let this derailment ease off some. I still need to get the new top plate put in, and my pressure monitoring system installed.
    First, I almost fit your description of folks with no affiliation. I do own and have owned trucks for years, just never a GM product......
    Second, it is still a good time to be a CK5'r. The only thing I miss is the new problems. There are a few every day, but most of the obvious ones have been answered many times. Still a few new ones along to keep it interesting.
    And the third of the couple of things...... You had to go and mention 'fumes. Where the heck did he go? It must have been bad, he was here too much to just chuck it and leave unless he did get banned.
    And Jagged? Any idea what happened to him? I know we are still looking for Boggerless. One of the few that I actually spoke to over the phone.
    I'm tempted, after this storm passes, to start a "where are they" thread, unless there is already one, or someone else wants to.

bigjbear and wasted wages like this.
  8. wasted wages

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020 at 5:51 PM
    bigjbear likes this.
  9. campfire

campfire Adventure is out there! Premium Member

Build(s):
    Fumes left after the software change. I think he didn't like the new interface.

wasted wages likes this.
  10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

‘fumes is on FB, most of the memes I post in the MAD thread I steal from him. Grim reaper still lives near me and still has cool automotive projects, just not K5s.
    Z3PR was a mess, but a constant source of entertainment. He is kind of the model case of temp bans not working :rotfl:

BRB was a cool dude. @jekbrown you ever hear from him?

Lots of guys have left, some come back, and that is always cool.
    This place is kind of like SNL, it ebbs and flows, and some years are better than others, but I keep coming back. :saweet:

wasted wages likes this.
  11. Fordum

Tell 'fumes I said hi. Wish him and some of the ones I used to work with would drop by every once and a while if just to say they are still alive.
    When you lose as many friends as I have lately, you tend to try to hang on to the ones you have left.
    Of course, I would not want to bypass a ban.
    I don't know as many old timers as some of you. @ryoken only got me started here in 2008. Now you know who to blame......
    At least I'm pretty sure it was him....
    But, even a newcomer like me has lots of missing people.
    I wish I knew what happened to @GalDemSuga, we wrestled with lots of problems over several years. I accidently insulted him one day without knowing it, and he was nice enough to not take offense.
    I guess I'm going to have to start that "where are they now" thread, unless some of you want to. I'm going to be busy with this storm for a couple of days.

ryoken and wasted wages like this.
  12. wasted wages

@Fordum

You doing ok this morning?
    looks like PC is getting it's ass kicked by Sally...

13. Fordum

Doing good so far. I'm at the farm about 30 miles NE of PC. Just spoke to my housesitters in PC, and its about what I expected. 25-35mph winds, lots of water.
    I have gotten around 12 inches of rain since yesterday, everything outside is pretty much under water. All my equipment is 4wd, and I'm not planning on heading out until later today. Do wish I had gotten around to airing up my front tire on the truck. Its got a slow leak, that stops when it gets about halfway down. I need to air it up and drive it into town and get it fixed, but with the water well problems, its been low priority.
    If I had thought this storm was going to be a problem, I would have already done it. But, when you have sat around outside and watched 185mph winds blow down everything standing, its kinda hard to get too worried about 85mph winds.....
    Lots of roads around here under water, all the creeks are full and flowing over the roads in some places.
    That is about the only need I have for the truck. My car will handle the slick dirt roads, but deep washouts call for bigger tires and more ground clearance.
    The creek below my house will be flowing across the road later today if its not already. I have another way out, so its not a problem. Plus I have plenty of food and drink to last until the county can fix any bad washouts.
    Power has even stayed on this time. I usually lose it when any strong winds come along. One of the advantages of Michal. There are no more trees to blow down across the lines........

bigjbear and JoshHefnerX like this.