Weight watching for ck5 doods

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by blowedupmotor87, Dec 29, 2015.

1. TerryD

TerryD Mildly demented... Premium Member

Build(s):
    205 this morning. I'm ok with that right now. Had a couple tough evenings of snacking but I'm still doing the salads for lunch and still fighting to limit my calorie intake.

Plus the kids have been so bored they've been cooking quite a bit. Having fresh bread in the house is not good but it's so good.

2. ktmoutfront

ktmoutfront GnomeWorks LLC Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    215.6. Much better. The swelling in the leg is down and I am up moving a lot more.

Bent77, frankin5, ashman and 2 others like this.
  3. GWeakland620

GWeakland620 THE CK5 Crayon Eater Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    262 this morning. Down 1 more.

Bent77, frankin5, ashman and 2 others like this.
  4. ashman

ashman What's a pigeonrat?? Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    196.6 lbs. Down close to a pound.

Bent77 and TerryD like this.
  5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    I finally started taking weight loss seriously a couple weeks ago. It's hard for me to share this kind of stuff "publicly" but I'm hoping it will help with my motivation. I understand if you all don't want to read my entire post; it just helps me to "talk" it out and put things into perspective.

I have been trying to deny my weight is an issue, because I've been doing 20 minutes of exercise in the mornings, but I have to accept that alone isn't enough. I inherited spinal stenosis from my mom's side of the family, and it has been causing me issues for the past year. It had also flared up about 12 years ago, and then went away; now the irritation is back again. I had an epiphany that last time it started bothering me, my weight had gotten up to where it is now. Then I started night school for 2 years, lost 60 pounds and the irritation went away.

I've always struggled with my weight, something else inherited from my mom's side of the family; it has been a demon in my head for as long as I can remember. The lowest weight I've been since the 7th grade was 187 at the end of boot camp (FWIW I was 203 going in). I had a 30" waist but 187 is still considered overweight for 5'-9". When you're overweight in the Navy, you have to get "roped & choked" to pass the yearly physical. I remember they would frequently ask me why I was there, "because the chart says I'm overweight/obese". It was funny at that low weight after boot camp everyone said I looked terrible.

All that being said, there's no doubt I need to lose some weight now. When I weighed at the beginning of my weight loss focus 2 weeks ago, I was at 291. My pride can't let that go without mentioning I can still touch my toes and do 70 pushups in 1 go. But this lower back nerve pain issue needs to be addressed so I'm hoping losing weight will help. Also a few of the shirts I like are getting a little tight side in the belly.

My goal is to get down to the weight I was at when I left the Navy 21 years ago: 240.

I've been tracking my exercising with a Samsung health app that comes preloaded on my phone. 2 weeks ago I started using it to track my food intake. Even though I knew I was consuming too much, it was easy to convince myself it wasn't really that bad. I'm not too bad on snacking; I don't really like a lot of sugar but donuts and potato chips are my achilles heel. I'm terrible about portion control at mealtime.

So for the past 2 weeks I've been tracking my food intake. It's definitely a challenge keep it down where it should be. I'm still a few hundred calories over the recommended daily intake. I'm hoping that will get better as I get myself adjusted to a lower level of food intake. I can say ignorance was definitely bliss before I started tracking.

After 2 weeks I'm at 286.

6. ktmoutfront

Build(s):
    Good for you. Keep at it.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    mrk5 and ekajkrats like this.
  7. TerryD

TerryD Mildly demented... Premium Member

Build(s):
    Freudian slip? Haha!

But in all seriousness, good for you! We're all sticking to this thread for the same reason. We need folks to talk this out with. We all share in the joy of a pound lost and help to motivate and support when there's a pound gained.

When I graduated high school I was 269lb and 5' 10". It's taken me nearly 20 years to get down to the 205 I was this morning. And that's up a few lb from a month ago. I've been on blood pressure meds since I was 27 (nearly 10 years now) and the doctor tried to put me on cholesterol meds and that was my big wakeup call.

I'm trying to figure out how to work in exercise into my weeks then hopefully daily. The longer days are helping. I'm going to go see if the river walk is currently closed down after work and then do some more planning.

Welcome in man! Glad to have you!

Bent77, mrk5 and ekajkrats like this.
  8. ktmoutfront

Build(s):
    Fixed it.

TerryD likes this.
  9. jtrux

jtrux 1/2 ton status Premium Member

This quarantine thing has been working out great for me. I'm considered essential and every other person in my office is non-essential so I am alone at work which sits on several hundred acres of woods. I bring gear to work and run on my "breaks".

Also, Subway has the most legit salad for the price. I just load mine up with every veggie plus some vinaigrette dressing and delicious diet coke.

Anyways, I'm 6'1 and 235. Trying to get back to 190. Ran 3 miles today which is my avg run. Usually do one long run a week that ends up between 6 and 8 miles. Nothing crazy but still decent miles for a semi-fatty.

Bent77, TerryD, ashman and 2 others like this.
  10. ekajkrats

ekajkrats 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm at 222.8 this morning. Hoping to continue that trend. My goal is 214, so I definitely have some final push motivation kicking in for the "end" of the race.

TerryD, Bent77, ashman and 1 other person like this.
  11. ashman

Build(s):
    I've noticed there are very few body issues that can't be helped with some weight loss. I get some nerve pain in my hip that really bothers me, but losing weight always makes it better.

TerryD, Bent77, ekajkrats and 2 others like this.
  12. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just because it’s a diet soda doesn’t make it ok to drink it on a diet or mean that it’s good for you. It’s all bout making smart choices - you got the salad part down, now make the drink part match. :deal:

13. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    Thanks for all the welcomes.

Bent77 and TerryD like this.
  14. ChrisPerry

ChrisPerry Contemplating links Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Welcome to the cause.....I know you'll do well. I'm happy every time I see someone new join in.

I've been avoiding the scale the last month, since I transitioned off my diet. I'm still doing intermittent fasting and keeping my calorie intake down, just added carbs back into my diet. As of this morning, I'm at 210. So in the last month I'm up 7lbs. While I'm upset about the increase I knew I was going to put on 10-15lbs when I stopped keto. I'm pretty sure a lot of it is water weight from the carbs that are in my system now, I will be monitoring my weight closely. If I gain 3 more pounds I will go back to keto to keep the weight off. I will NOT go back to being fat ever again. I'm too proud of myself to do that.

mrk5, Bent77, GWeakland620 and 2 others like this.
  15. imiceman44

imiceman44 Hoarder extraordinaire Premium Member

Build(s):
    Drop the soda.
    Diet or not it's bad for you.
    Stick with water, you will thank me in 10 years when you don't have cancer or something worse

TerryD and rampage like this.
  16. imiceman44

imiceman44 Hoarder extraordinaire Premium Member

Build(s):
    And I noticed you beat me to it.

rampage likes this.
  17. ktmoutfront

Build(s):
    Diet soda is the devil. I haven't had a soda of any kind in years. Do not miss it.

18. ashman

Build(s):
    I like mountain dew. Too much. But, while I'm trying to lose weight I've quit drinking soda. The other day I decided I could have one... It made me kinda sick.

TerryD, rampage and GWeakland620 like this.
  19. ktmoutfront

Build(s):
    Eileen will have a diet coke once a week or so. I will take a small hit. Almost can not swallow it. I used to drink 12 a day.

20. Russell

Russell LLY Escalade Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    237 this morning. Up a little less than a pound. Hard to keep my eating in check sitting at home with a full fridge, freezer and pantry... It was really nice outside yesterday so I went and did some stuff in the yard and now I am all sore today. Pretty brutal how poor of shape I am in right now when pressuring washing an engine, some shoveling and replacing a drier vent screen makes you sore the next day.

TerryD, ekajkrats and GWeakland620 like this.