CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Westward Bound II (Rocky Mountains Trip 2015)

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Last edited:

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
It's that time again. We are planning out this summer's trip out West, and we are again looking for folks who wanna meet up along the way.

This year's dates will be June 27th - July 5th. If you wanna hang out or show off a project or your local attractions, lemme know. Or if you know of fun places to go camping. This year will include the new challenge of bringing along a newborn (no idea how well that's gonna go, but we'll find out along the way :rolleyes:). Life is surely an adventure. :)

Our route has not been finalized yet, and will be influenced by the feedback we get here. We have to get from the South Central U.P. to Southwest Colorado and back again. Current plan is looking like MI --> WI --> IA --> NE --> CO --> WY --> SD --> MN --> WI --> MI. Probably something like this. If you live in Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, or Minnesota (or somewhere close along the way), AND you wanna meet up, send a PM or post up here.

Side note: If you live in Wisconsin or Upper Michigan, PM and we'll have a more local gathering sometime. :D

Last edited:

Blue85

Yooper
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'll probably be passing through your neck of the woods the same time you'll be gone. Sound like your place will be available? :haha:

ktmoutfront

You are an idiot. Whoever you are
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Is there a reason you are going through Nebraska? If you headed out the 70 then south into the Colorado Springs area, Pikes Peaks would be calling. Then we could do some local wheeling also.

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Is there a reason you are going through Nebraska? If you headed out the 70 then south into the Colorado Springs area, Pikes Peaks would be calling. Then we could do some local wheeling also.

Would you be interested in meeting up this year? I remember you turned me down last year. Never was quite sure why... :dunno:

I ain't really worth meeting. Ask anyone on here.

To answer your question, we have a couple folks to visit in Eastern Nebraska, but there's no reason that we couldn't go through Colorado Springs en route to Ouray. Wifey and I would both love to skip Denver, so cutting down to I-70 would not be a bad idea at all (perhaps at Kearney). The route listed is but one of many route options we are considering. 3 of our friends from last year's trip have moved, so this year's route won't look like last year's. But we still have a lot of possibilities open. Should be a fun trip.

ktmoutfront

You are an idiot. Whoever you are
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I was gone when you came through last year. There is a lot to see here. What will you be driving?

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I was gone when you came through last year. There is a lot to see here. What will you be driving?

I've been through that area a few times, but I've pretty much just been along the highway.

Vehicle will prolly be our little car. The Suburban is not ready for a 3000+ mile trip (though it would be fun! :)). Big Blue could do it, but by the time I had everything secured and tarped off in the back I don't think it'd be much funner than taking the car (and the cab would be more cramped). So I don't feel like paying double for fuel cost this time. We'll be testing out (and repairing) the Suburban over the summer (via shorter camping trips throughout da U.P.), so it may get used on next year's long trip. :dunno:

streetrodchev

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to the pictures of the trip.:popcorn:

I am in WI between Milwaukee and Madison if you get this way.

Metrodps

Strange but nice guy
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
I call dibs for you on the 4th! Also need at least two WHOLE days.

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I call dibs for you on the 4th! Also need at least two WHOLE days.

I have 2 whole days blocked off for ya at this point. Not sure what the beginning or end of the week looks like, but you should have at least 2 full days in the middle. Although it can't be on the 4th, or I wouldn't be able to get back to work on Monday the 6th (I have this job thing that keeps demanding my time :(). The current iteration of the plan is leaning toward Tuesday and Wednesday (6/30 & 7/1), plus whatever time we have coming and going on Monday and Thursday.

But it's all subject to change at this point. This week it sounds like the Nebraska friends wanna come to meet us in Missouri. So maybe we will go through Kansas again. :dunno:

Either way, Colorado Springs --> Highway 50 sounds much more fun than trucking through Denver again. Maybe we'll get to stop in Gunnison this year. :dunno:

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Here is a few spots you might like. We will be be doing the True Grit tour which part of it is om Last Dollar Road. Two days hmm Alpine Loop is on day the grit tour will be half a day.

http://www.imfromdenver.com/9-hidden-gems-in-colorado-you-must-see-for-yourself/

Are you planning on staying in CO for our sight-seeing days? We had originally discussed making a Moab run, IIRC, but we'll be fine with just about anything that we can't see in flat-land. You interested in camping out for a couple days, or are you thinking of doing 2 day-trips from your place in Ouray?

You could also meet up with us at some other point along the trip, if you wanted to see CO springs or Gunnison or whatever (while we're passing through).

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I may have to follow them down there if they come through here.

By all means!

Itinerary is still up in the air, but we will prolly be coming through your area on the way through. There's nothing in Denver that's on my bucket list.

I'll post up another version of the map when we have more stability.

Metrodps

Strange but nice guy
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Are you planning on staying in CO for our sight-seeing days? We had originally discussed making a Moab run, IIRC, but we'll be fine with just about anything that we can't see in flat-land. You interested in camping out for a couple days, or are you thinking of doing 2 day-trips from your place in Ouray?

You could also meet up with us at some other point along the trip, if you wanted to see CO springs or Gunnison or whatever (while we're passing through).

There ya go again Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning. Think the bridge will be there and it will be there. It's a mother, beautiful bridge, and it's gonna be there. Ok?

We can do what ever you want baby! I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work.

Arf arf arf... That's my other dog impression.

Top Bottom