CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Westward Bound III (Rocky Mountains Trip 2016)

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Well, folks, it's that time of year again. Time to plan out the summer traveling schedule. We are again thinking of heading out to the Rockies, and would love to meet up with the folks along the way.

Dates and route options have not been nailed down, but we will be swinging through SW Colorado to meet up with @Metrodps again. It will probably be toward the beginning of the summer (I don't like triple-digit temperatures).

Routes out West can be anywhere between I-94 (North Dakota) and US-50 in Kansas. We're starting along the shore of Lake Michigan and going at least as far west as Ouray, Colorado.

Post up or PM if you live somewhere in that corridor and you'd be interested in meeting up. Plans will be developed in the coming weeks & months based on who's available and where. Updates will be posted in this thread.

Folks who have previously expressed interest include @82355, @Smokinthehippies, @ktmoutfront, @Larry, @Metrodps, @blazinzuk, @GWeakland620.

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Should swing by Tuttle Creek.

Martin

^^^I'd be there...

This has been discussed before, and Tuttle is on our list of ideas. You guys are well aware that I don't have any vehicles good at offroading. And the long trip will probably be the tiny car again (tease away :rolleyes:). But I would still be interested in coming along and joining in on the fun. :)

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
So...we hafta head down to Austin (TX) over Memorial Day.
Something like this.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/45....64bd469d57a!2m2!1d-97.7430608!2d30.267153!3e0

We would definitely take the Iowa route vs. the Illinois route. That will drop us in your back yard, @GWeakland620. And @78K30. And pretty close for @Smokinthehippies and @82355.

So...

Greg/Martin/whoever, what about a Tuttle run over that weekend? We would be free probably that Monday on our way back North. I'd hate to run straight there and straight back without doing anything cool along the way. :thinking:

James and/or Steve, we could meet up for lunch/dinner in one of your areas if you're not feeling like heading to Tuttle that weekend.

:popcorn:

78K30

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'm down for meeting somewhere! I've got the local clubs first trail run of the year memorial weekend but I'm for sure down! @campfire when would you rather meet up the going to Texas trip or the return?

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'm down for meeting somewhere! I've got the local clubs first trail run of the year memorial weekend but I'm for sure down! @campfire when would you rather meet up the going to Texas trip or the return?

Not sure yet. We hafta be in Austin for a wedding on Saturday, 5/28. Beyond that I haven't planned out much. I'm thinking we'll find a 3rd driver and drive through the night down there on Friday. We should have more availability on the return trip. But these are just thoughts at this point. You're the easy one to catch. We're in Iowa every couple months or so; I'm sure we can find an alternate time even if the whole weekend is busy. I'm hoping to catch some of the guys further out.

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score

Also, what club is local to you, and what type of trail do they run? I was born and raised in Iowa, and I've always thought that public trails are hard to find. :popcorn:

78K30

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Also, what club is local to you, and what type of trail do they run? I was born and raised in Iowa, and I've always thought that public trails are hard to find. :popcorn:

There's actually a thing going around to get a public trail opened but right now it's all private ground. I go to a place called Miobi, (make it or break it) down near the town of Lovillia. It's an old strip mine so plenty of mud but amid a lot of steep hill climbs hidden in the woods. Fullsized rigs don't survive well without dents. That's why there isn't a single body panel on my F150 that's not caved in.
F0DD46D1-8A4B-4818-9CE4-E594A4EE2D90_zpsf3xkj1xk.jpg

GWeakland620

THE CK5 Crayon Eater
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
OK, so now I'm caught up.

The intersection/transition from I-70 to 470 is literally a 1/4 mile from my house. If you guys find your self in trouble or need a place to rest, we are right there. (Edit-In Topeka)

As for Memorial weekend. I am in.

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
OK, so now I'm caught up.

The intersection/transition from I-70 to 470 is literally a 1/4 mile from my house. If you guys find your self in trouble or need a place to rest, we are right there. (Edit-In Topeka)

As for Memorial weekend. I am in.

Cool. We still don't have a plan, but my guess would be leaving Austin on Sunday morning, getting up to your area Sunday afternoon/evening, and heading to Tuttle on Monday before heading North on Monday afternoon.

But that's just Plan A, we have 6 weeks left to change our minds. :rolleyes:

AgDieseler

Certified Scrap Producer
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
The shop will be open to y'all to stretch your legs between Austin and Oklahoma.

David

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
The shop will be open to y'all to stretch your legs between Austin and Oklahoma.

David

Cool. I haven't updated this thread yet because I'm waiting to hear back from @ktmoutfront and @Metrodps. But here's what I was going to say.

---

Aaand...change our minds we did.

Plan has been expanded to a much longer route. We've decided to hit up Colorado while we're already 2/3rds of the way there. So the loop now looks something like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/45....12c7ef!2m2!1d-96.5716694!2d39.1836082!1m0!3e0

Trip timeframe is May 18-31, rough first-draft itinerary like this (All dates are +/- a day or two until we hafta arrive in Austin):

Wed, 5/18 WI --> Central IA
Thu, 5/19 IA --> Central/Western NE (@78K30, @82355, @Smokinthehippies, etc)
Fri, 5/20 NE --> CO Springs, CO
Sat, 5/21 Visit Wade
Sun, 5/22 Co Springs --> Ouray, CO (Should try again to meet up with @Larry if he's free)
Mon, 5/23 Visit Lawrence
Tue, 5/24 Visit Lawrence
Wed, 5/25 Do something awesome between Ouray and Austin
Thu, 5/26 Ouray --> Lubbock, TX
Fri, 5/27 Lubbock --> Austin, TX
Sat, 5/28 Family Schtuff
Sun, 5/29 Austin --> Kansas (@AgDieseler and @GWeakland620)
Mon, 5/30 Tuttle Creek and drive to somewhere a little closer to home
Tue, 5/31 Finish driving home

However, both Wade and Lawrence are tentatively busy during pieces of that week, so I'm not sure yet whether we're meeting up with them or not (should have that hashed out soon). We may find that we don't have as much going on as we thought, so we're looking for other ideas. Lawrence's place is just a few hours from Moab, so we might head out there to see what we can see. We also could take the North route out through Montana if we don't wind up spending much time in CO.

Lubbock, TX is a nice 1/2-way point between Ouray and Austin, but it's pretty much a point that I just picked for its location. Can't remember who, but there is a CK5er there, too.

Anyone within a couple hours of this route who wants to meet up, reply back and I will adjust the schedule accordingly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom