CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Westward Bound! (Rocky Mountains Trip 2014)

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
We took a trip out west to the Rocky Mountains. For trip summary see TOC below:

Wisconsin --> Iowa --> Missouri
Missouri (central)
Missouri --> Kansas
Kansas (central)
Kansas --> Colorado
Colorado (SW)
Colorado (offroad portion)
Colorado --> Moab
Arches National Park
Moab --> SLC
Salt Lake City
SLC --> Idaho --> Montana
Montana (NW)
Montana --> North Dakota --> Minnesota --> Wisconsin

For other trip threads, see
Adventures with Big Blue
Adventures with The Great Smaug
Northwoods / Yooper Beauty
Westward Bound II

Original post:

We are heading West for the next week or so. Itinerary has mostly been made up in the last few days, and has already changed multiple times. We are now taking the northern route from Montana to Wisconsin.

Weekend (24th-25th): Midwest --> Central Kansas

Monday-26th: Central Kansas --> Colorado (via US-50). Ending in Ouray.

Tuesday-27th: Ouray (perhaps Silverton too?) --> Moab --> Salt Lake City (via US-6)

Wednesday-28th: Salt Lake City

Thursday-29th: Salt Lake City --> Idaho Falls --> Glacier National Park (via I-15)

Friday-30th: Glacier National Park

Saturday-31st: Glacier National Park --> I-94 Eastbound. Driving through night to Northwoods Wisconsin.

So...a big loop from the Midwest, through the Rocky Mountains, and back to the Midwest. :woot:

If you're along any of these corridors and you'd like to meet up, send a PM with contact info and we'll try to stop by (or meet up somewhere along the route). Route is likely to change, and we have a regular habit of taking winding backroads.

I plan on taking pictures of the adventures as they unfold. :) But, as we won't be taking either of our Diesels this trip, I'm not sure whether trip pictures will fit in either of my existing threads. In fact, without the trucks, we aren't likely to spend much time offroad at all. But the trip should still be awesome just the same. :D

Last edited:

MTChevy

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
Im somewhat central mt in great falls on i15. Not sure what my schedule is yet during the week

blazinzuk

Buzzbox voodoo
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I am in Idaho falls about 15 minutes off i 15

Not sure if I will be around or not. But your more than welcome here stay the night eat dinner whatever

gotblazers

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Take US-310 South off I-90 in Laurel,MT and then Catch Alt. 14 East through the big horns in Wyoming for a nice little scenic detour. Stay off the interestates as much as possible. They are boring and ugly relative to the US-Routes.

If you didn't want to see MT rushmore I'd recommend you take US-212 from Billings to Rapid City. It's a spectacular drive.

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Thanks all! We have made it safely to Missouri. Kansas-bound tomorrow.

The route is not at all set, and we are likely to stray from the interstate corridors. Especially in the great plains where the big roads get downright boring. The corridors were posted to inform the general idea of where we were thinking of heading. The return leg of the trip is especially prone to revisions.

Metrodps, I'm not against going through the Southern edge of CO. If you've got mountains and spectacular views, heading up your way is a definite possibility. Especially since I've seen the I-70 corridor and I've not seen your section of the state. For your place in particular, I'd love to see the DP suburban, if it's around. :thumb:

blazinzuk, I got your PM. We should be able to meet up with you, if your schedule is free mid-Wednesday (lunchtime, perhaps?).

As the rest of you are further along in the trip, we will consult our maps and get back to you in a few days. I don't know how much CK5 access we'll have along the way, so a phone number (in a PM) will make connecting that much easier. Stay tuned!

ktmoutfront

You are an idiot. Whoever you are
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
When you get part way into Colorado, turn southwest on the 24 in Limon. You would go right by my place. 2 laner. Then I could point you to Lawrence. I can grantee that leg would be the best part of your drive.

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Alright. Lawrence's pictures are exactly what this midwesterner is hoping to see along this trip (:bow:), so I'm talked out of taking I-70 through Denver (not a hard sell, in my book :D). We'll be starting that day at a point along US-50. It makes sense to take US-50 all the way to Ouray/Silverton (via Pueblo) vs. taking I-70 to Limon. But Google thinks that the I-70 --> US-24 --> US-50 --> Ouray/Silverton route is nearly equal time. So...if anyone along either route wants to meet up on Monday, I think it could work out.

Lawrence, I would plan to spend Monday night somewhere in your neck of the woods. If you'd like to meet up that evening (or the next morning) it would be awesome!

ktmoutfront

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
If you are already on the 50, it definitely makes sense to stay on it. You will hit some small 5 owns and old farms that way.

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
If you are already on the 50, it definitely makes sense to stay on it. You will hit some small 5 owns and old farms that way.

Well, the US-24 route was guaranteed to be "the best part of your drive." So if you (or anyone else along that route) wanna meet up, we can easily enough swing up to I-70, seeing that it's nearly equal time and similar mileage (we're coming from east-central Kansas)...

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score

ktmoutfront

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Well, the US-24 route was guaranteed to be "the best part of your drive." So if you (or anyone else along that route) wanna meet up, we can easily enough swing up to I-70, seeing that it's nearly equal time and similar mileage (we're coming from east-central Kansas)...

The best part of your drive would be from 15 miles past my place to Ouray. Not getting to my place. Do the 50 through the south.

I ain't really worth meeting. Ask anyone on here.

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Yah man I will be around. Texting is sometimes the better way to get me

Will keep that in mind. Hope to meet up soon.

We've made it to Kansas and are heading Lawrence's direction in the morning. Trip so far has been good (with a little bit of wet thrown in on the side). Plan includes tenting, so we'll see how soggy we get. :rolleyes:

As with the original route, send a PM if you're along the new route (US-50 --> Moab --> Salt Lake City) and want to meet up.

blazinzuk

Buzzbox voodoo
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
When you guys are heading this way dont go up I-15 i will look and find the road but you go through Logan utah and up through Preston idaho and on up through macammon then hit I 15 on up to idaho falls. This is the high desert so kind of boring up the main roads

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
When you guys are heading this way dont go up I-15 i will look and find the road but you go through Logan utah and up through Preston idaho and on up through macammon then hit I 15 on up to idaho falls. This is the high desert so kind of boring up the main roads

Will keep this in mind. Schedule has changed a little. We're planning to stay in SLC today and leave tomorrow morning. I'll try to call you today.

ktmoutfront, I plan to post pictures when I get back. Until then, here's a teaser. :D

DP Suburban.JPG

This is metrodps's Dante's Peak Suburban, out on its maiden run. There is some mud on the otherwise impeccable paint job. :thumb:

DP Suburban.JPG

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Made it to Montana, heading back east in the morning. :(
Haven't heard back from anyone en route, so we will be driving straight through to Wisconsin.

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Alright...we are back in the midwest and are starting to go through pictures. Seeing that we've taken several thousand, we should have plenty to document most stretches of the trip. :D

Stay tuned-this trip has been awesome!

Top Bottom