CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

What battery are you runnin....with your winch??

JK5

1/2 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
My Red Top Optima after 5 years...
needs to be re-placed..
I think I KILLED it winching last summer... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

I'm looking at the NEW Optima Group 31 Yellow Top...
They say it's made for winching and other tough applications..
but this thing is 12 13/16"L x 6 1/2" W x 9 3/8"H....
this thing is huge...and has 900 cold cranking amps/1125 cranking amps...

What battery would you guys using???

84_Chevy_K10

Banned
Reaction score
Two plate type group 34 batteries. 1100 CA each, that's 2200 available amps. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

JK5

1/2 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
Two plate type group 34 batteries. 1100 CA each, that's 2200 available amps. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about going with a 2 battery set-up...
but I'm going to eventually narrow my front..
so I may not have the room... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

K30CJ

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Optima Yellow Top. Awesome battery. Mine's over 5 years old, never a problem. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Surprised to hear your red needs replaced after only 5 years. Did something specific kill it?

bluejeep

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Red top. Replaced after 6 years of winching with another red top. Try dropping it on the ground from about 3 feet up and see if it'll take a charge then. There was a post a couple of weeks ago about this, so I tried it and it worked for me.

JK5

1/2 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
Optima Yellow Top. Awesome battery. Mine's over 5 years old, never a problem. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Surprised to hear your red needs replaced after only 5 years. Did something specific kill it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well....
I got sideways in a hole...to start..
and I did nothing but winch...at the Halloween Webb Bash..
I broke out the winch about 20 times that weekend.. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

JK5

1/2 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
Red top. Replaced after 6 years of winching with another red top. Try dropping it on the ground from about 3 feet up and see if it'll take a charge then. There was a post a couple of weeks ago about this, so I tried it and it worked for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...I haven't seen that POST!!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
My Red Top is taking a charge...
my load tester says it's weak!!!

Maybe I'll try dropping it tonight!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

wasted wages

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry guy's but I can't see the high cost of Optima's,,,I know this sounds bad but I run Wal-mart Battery's.
they come with a 3 year no questions asked replacement I have dual battery's in my K5 and just replace them every 2 years at no cost. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gifThey have never failed and I have not paid for a battery in 6 years.I've yet to kill the one on my winch,,also walmarts are everywhere and that's a good thing if I ever need to replace one in another town,,Just keep the reciept in the glovebox. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

mudjunkie 82

1 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well....
I broke out the winch about 20 times that weekend.. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Maybe with the 44"s you won't have to winch as much /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

84_Chevy_K10

Banned
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry guy's but I can't see the high cost of Optima's,,,I know this sounds bad but I run Wal-mart Battery's.
they come with a 3 year no questions asked replacement I have dual battery's in my K5 and just replace them every 2 years at no cost. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gifThey have never failed and I have not paid for a battery in 6 years.I've yet to kill the one on my winch,,also walmarts are everywhere and that's a good thing if I ever need to replace one in another town,,Just keep the reciept in the glovebox. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't feel bad, I've got two plate type batteries in mine, both are actually from Farm and Fleet I think, but same thing either way.

Resurrection_Joe

1 ton status
Reaction score
I'm running those fancy 1050A Walmart ones, they're yellow.... ooooooh! : /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Cost $110 or so for both...

CyberSniper

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
750CCA cheapies from Advance Auto for $42. I've killed the auxilary one five or six times now with my electric fans. I can't believe it survived all of those drains.

I kept burning the terminals off those mini-ATO fuses so the fuse wouldn't blow but the isolator couldn't charge the battery either. I finally put in a regular full size blade fuse holder in about 3 weeks ago.

In a perfect world, I'd run Optimas.

JK5

1/2 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well....

[/ QUOTE ]Maybe with the 44"s you won't have to winch as much /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...It's NOT me I'm worried about..
I needed the winch about 6 times last year... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

But You're right...I'm gonna be unstopable at Webb this year!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

JK5

1/2 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Thanks for ALL the comments!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

84_Chevy_K10

Banned
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
I always run Die Hards!(usually Golds) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Made by Johnson controls, same as most of Wal-Mart's batteries in addition to all of Autozone's and Interstate as well.

Emmettology 101

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]

Made by Johnson controls, same as most of Wal-Mart's batteries in addition to all of Autozone's and Interstate as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

When did they start with Johnson? I haven't had to buy one in at least 6 years and have never had a problem with one!

If I were to choose another brand it would probably be New Castle Battery since they're local...

Top Bottom