CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

what have i got my self into ? 2nd engine on its way now

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
Reaction score
he has me kind of bumming . . . no motors yet he said were coming . I am calling again in the am . if nothing I got a line on a complete take out everything on it drove in the lot even has tranny and pto on it .

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
Reaction score
more than I wanted to spend but in the end I think it will be worth it . and extra parts left over also . maybe resale some take off stuff.

also its the basic exact motor and combo I removed other than 1984 year .

even has newer remaned carb on it . looks like a fairly clean pull out job . stored with covered with air filter on it unlike lots of motors I have seen open or no carb and open for anything to get inside them .

366 1.jpg

366 3.jpg

366 6.jpg

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
Reaction score
thanks to :saweet: www.rockauto.com :saweet: and there discount code I got the detail parts to clean up / reseal the motor and trans / tune it all up / hook up the cooling and a new luk clutch kit .
369.75 shipped all of it to my door.
17.09 saved discount wise with code.
who knows how much I saved on all of it over local chain store prices ? ? ?

thanks guys :deal:

cant wait to :burnout:

Last edited:

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
Reaction score
cleaned up the engine bay harness today of extra unwanted wires / parts .

stream lined it to coolant/oil psi sensors . tach/12volt to hei . carb 12volt kickup power.

diesel4me

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just noticed the ball bearing "pilot" bushing!..thing is huge compared to the brass nugget all the smaller GM's used !..

Alan2smiley

I'm in the shop
Premium Member
Reaction score
The pilot bushing locked up in my 6bt and the clutch and pressure plate were still OK, :mad2:. the pilot bearing cost about $5.00. I think most flywheels could be machined out to fit a bearing. South bend clutch flywheel comes with a bearing.

diesel4me

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would avoid the needle bearing type pilot bearings,they are known to rust up or seize in short order,the oilite bushings last practically forever..a sealed ball bearing might last a good long time,but they too are more sensitive to moisture intrusion and can rust if the grease escapes..(and contaminate the clutch disc)..one that large should last as long as the rest of the clutch I would think..

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
Reaction score
this is a 13" clutch disk size med duty flywheel so the bearing is in it over the smaller pickup based vehicles with up to a 11" clutch with the bushing/bearing in the end of the crank shaft.

the old one had a little play but still felt smooth . but since new come in the kit and old had to be out to cut flywheel it got the new one.

had to take .045 off the flywheel to clean it up from the smoked clutch on the rivets . . . since I am going this far I even got a shim at .050 to put behind it in front of the crank flange to bring it back out. just a few bucks for it . it was .025 / .050 / .083 were the options.

also going to clean up and lube up all the clutch linkage points . some showing wear already . .

since I am using the same engine vintage and size 366 I had this flywheel cut so when the replacement shows up I am ready to go .

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
Reaction score
went and picked up the rad and pressure over flow tank today .

then motor/trans combo was ready at local ABF terminal .

next to the last parts order showed up today . just waiting on a clutch linkage piviot pin swivel .

hope to start tearing in to the stuff Thursday . going to reseal / clean the tranny first since he goes in first cause I don't have a med/heavy duty style tranny jack .

then it will be clean / reseal the engine and get ready for drop in .

Last edited:

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
Reaction score
FU*K ME :flipoff13::flipoff10::flipoff13:

dam used motor is junk . . . . . tore in to it to clean and re gasket / seal it and the carb throttle shaft was frozen ( 1st oh sh!t ) then trail of water down intake runner ( 2nd oh sh!t ) and pull plugs and #1 solid rust ( 3rd oh sh!t ) and bore scope down plug hole has shown SOLID RUST and NO FU*KING GOOD AT ALL ! ! ! :flipoff1:

then to top it off the head guy in charge has just left yesterday on a 2 week vacation out of the country . so I have to wait on a refund on my credit card . . . .

WHAT THE HELL ............................................................................................................................

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
Reaction score
so the possible way down the tunnel of luck glimmer of light is . . . . .

the dead motor was NASTY on the outside . had huge water trails down left head . intake piled up couldn't see the bolts with dirt/oil/leaf junk .

my buddy who used his snap-on camera scope looked in this one and said 1 tiny surface rust spot on left side bank in 1 cylinder. so we pulled the valve covers and OH MY GOSH you can almost eat off the inside of this engine and even the cam valley is this clean . so he is bringing me up his 1000Lb engine stand since I have a 454 already on mine .

were going to tear down this original motor and see what we find. might get lucky and do head gaskets and see what else.

anyone got good idea's on cleaning out rust from inside the heads/block with out hot tank dipping ? otherwise I am just going to run a coolant filter unit I have already and filters are 8 bucks each when dirty.

stay tuned to see the next chapter . . . . . :popcorn:

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
Reaction score
well the truth has reviled its self on the original motor .

COOKED TO A CRISP AND BEYOND
firedevil.gif

heads have pushed out guides chipped valves 1 has huge 3/4" long crack going from valve seat up to intake surface .

all the pistions all have aluminum melted off them and severe frozen rusted on rings.

1 head even started to pop / lift up when undoing the head bolts in reverse sequence of pattern .

she is beyond the put a stick in it with a white flag . she gave up the fight well before this guy owned it that's for sure.

KirsL

Diesel maniac
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cool project. Sucks to hear about the used motor. As for cleaning coolant passages without a hot tank you can use a endgrinder with a rotart sander bit on a long shaft to reach. Then I would wash the passages out with simply green and water. Should get most of it out.

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
Reaction score
null point now after finding the block / heads are junk .

that's some HD blueing in the head surfaces of the block . the pistions are melted around the edges of the top rings . the 1 head is warped to hell . it lifted its self when I undid the last 2 head bolts . other head is severe crack from intake valve to intake surface area direction .

0311171523a.jpg

0311171523b.jpg

Top Bottom