CK5 Forums

Take a few seconds to register your free account to post topics or questions, and view exclusive content!

what have i got my self into ? 2nd engine on its way now

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
Reaction score
well finally made time for this project to get done .

motor looks as listed inside super clean low miles . i even was able to see the reman comp gm used installed a 2 row roller chain for the timing system so one less thing to upgrade on my end . cause if it had a silent chain i was going to swap it . i had to drill a hole and take a carbide bit to the threaded coolant plug in the head cause even with the correct special driver bit it popped 1/3 of it off . but once i did the hole and ground 3 of the 4 flats to the threads i tapped it with a hammer and chisel bit and it all fell out . i used the shop vac with a small 1/2" pipe reducer to suck out the chips and grinding powder . this was so i could install the nipple adapter for the water flow to the air compressor for the brakes .

next i had the intake blasted clean and gave it a coat of paint . for now it has one t-stat housing on it for mock-up the other is in the bucket of rust remover from all the boiled water that was in the old engines system .

next i said no more funky holley carb for me as it needed a full rebuild anyway . i found a new in the box edelbrock 1406 performance / towing spec unit with man choke linkage . then i got a pertronics hei module with built in rev limiter and will set it for 4,500 rpm just a little higher than stock system was . this with the new 50,000 volt coil from them and all new wires / cap / rotor / reg vac advance hei we should be good .

the water pump got stripped of its needed parts to go to the fresh reman unit i scored cheep off ebay not long ago .

i need to swap the tins for my units and gt a oil pressure feed hose made up local for the air compressor and the oil rated hose for the drain to the pan . then she will be ready for a test fire .
firedevil.gif

0815191737a.jpg

0815191847c.jpg

0815191847a.jpg

0815191754b.jpg

0815191847b.jpg

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
Reaction score
got the dist all built out with new hei mod and 50k volt coil from pertronics .
got the water pump all built out with swapping stuff over from old to new .
got the intake set on for test fit of all parts .
got my original tins all cleaned up and fresh coat of paint and ready for the swap over .
she is getting there . its been extra work cleaning up the rusty & burnt on/in water and coolant from the parts i had to reuse from the old engine . they sure cooked the ever living hell out of it to boil the water out and leave this kind of build up behind . i even have parts soaking now in the cleaner for a 24hr soak . and it smells so bad when you wire wheel the rust off the coolant parts from being burnt .

little test fit of the stuff . and i have to swap the pan for the oil drain port on the air compressor .

0816192027a.jpg

0816192027b.jpg

0816192027c.jpg

K588

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cool to see you bringing it back to life, nice job on it so far look forward to seeing it run. Place I worked years ago had 2 C60 stake beds always like driving them.

I'm storing a dump truck for my brother he drove it to Md from Fallon Nevada. Governed at 55 mph. '77 International 4x4 diesel 35K~ original miles on it. 20191017_214825.jpg
(Dont mind the foam blocks helps keep the cab lights from ripping thru the tarp, which I was changing)

1-ton

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
The one draw back about medium-duty trucks is the registration cost. Because of the GVWR on these trucks the registration is through the roof expensive no matter how old the truck is.

diesel4me

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Some guys put a camper on the back and get camper plates here--seen many school buses that people chopped down into a car hauler,that still has about 10 feet of the bus body behind the driver to use as a camper,that makes it eligible for cheap RV/Camper plates..
I think they have to have some "plumbing" to qualify though..

K588

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd have to check with him, I think my brother got around the high registration by getting antique plates in VA.

Top Bottom