What kind of Axles, Tires, Lift to get me out of the woods?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sandman, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I am looking for reliability that'll get ya out of the woods. Thinking about the back wood trails that don't see much use. Have you guys seen any posts on this? Thanks.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Build(s):
    You dont need those Being reliable is a major goal for mine. I like to hit the back wood trails that don't see much use. So The mods I'd recomened would be: 3/4 Ton axles (cheaper then 1 Ton, but 1 Ton is better) and either a 4" or 6" suspension lift, and 33" to 36" tires. Now I don't know how you feel about trimming fenders, so I'll leave that one alone. That'll get ya out in the woods.

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

is this what you were looking for /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

just messin' with ya' z3

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What have you done so far?

That is my wheeling target - self-sufficient excursions through the back country.

I went 1 ton (ARB ft, DL r)
    MTRs work good but I have ruined one with a large puncture....
    My lift is at 6"

I also spent extra on the drivelines.

4. lazerus

lazerus Registered Member

hello!
    I know what you are talkin' bout! That is the kind of wheeling I like to do.
    Not sure about your place-is there lots of mud?
    Things I like are some sort of locker or posi and good tires. (all tearrain for most except REAL mud, then go mudders /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)
    And be sure to take some kind of a kit with you, you never what might brake down, blow up, shred apart, or fail. (you also never know who or what your gonna meet out there in the boonies /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    just my .02

5. Sandman

You dont need those Being reliable is a major goal for mine. I like to hit the back wood trails that don't see much use. So The mods I'd recomened would be: 3/4 Ton axles (cheaper then 1 Ton, but 1 Ton is better) and either a 4" or 6" suspension lift, and 33" to 36" tires. Now I don't know how you feel about trimming fenders, so I'll leave that one alone. That'll get ya out in the woods.

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Your just full of it today huh??? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Sandman

I'm always full of it! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I guess I am missing something..... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

10. Sandman

I'm making fun of the same post that people keep sticking on other peoples questions. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Build(s):
    that is why sandman and i have the same post /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

What can I say ???? I'm a firm beliver that the best mod for the money is a set of 3/4 Ton axles. $250.00 for a set of 3/4 Ton-ers was money well spent in my opinion !!!!!

13. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'm a firm beliver that the best mod for the money is a set of 3/4 Ton axles. $250.00 for a set of 3/4 Ton-ers was money well spent in my opinion !!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd agree if it were that simple.
    Now factor in the cost to rebuild the axles (at least bearings and brakes), new wheels and tires, etc.. Suddenly the $250 doesn't look so good seeing how you spend another $500 to make the axles work.

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Mine are good to go. No reason to rebuild. Granted, I did get lucky finding these from a wrecked truck that had everything rebuilt less then 5,000 miles befor it's death. New rims are a reality I can live with. Probley going to get the steel white wagon wheels anyways. They'll look good with my two-tone blue and white paint.

15. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    dude, what have you been smoking.....
    Must be some good stuff man /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. gmcsrgr8

gmcsrgr8 Registered Member

The best mod that I have done so far (besides my new engine) is to put my Mtn. bike in the back of my JImmy, that way I know that I can get back out of the woods. Not the most cost effective mod though, the jimmy was $100 and the bike was $3,000. But if something broke on the Jimmy I would just leave it there and find another one for $100 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I think you should go with 10b front and rear with 44's and 2.42 gears. Maybe a 4" lift with no trimming. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif