CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

What's the max weight I should tow??

dallassnowman

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
What\'s the max weight I should tow??

Its a 82 6.2L diesel blazer, stock except for 33's.
My father in law has a camper he thinks is 3k-4k. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
Just dont want to tear anything up, its my daily driver.

Can Can

Pusher Man
Reaction score
Re: What\'s the max weight I should tow??

Your profile simply says "stock". What kind of gears are you running?

I personally wouldn't tow any more than about 5000 lbs with the K5, and that's providing you have a good trailer brake setup as well as a weight distribution hitch.

Seeing that you're running 33s, your diesel really needs 3.73s at the very least. My 6.2 half ton has 275/75/15s with 3.42s and when I used to tow my 3500 lb TT through the mountains there were times I cursed the 3.42s........

If your truck is equipped with a 700r4, a good auxialliary tranny cooler is a must, but I'm sure you've already read that more than once.

dallassnowman

1/2 ton status
Reaction score

Ok so maybe thats the beginning of my problem....I dont know what I have. How do I find out the gears and tranny??
Please go easy on me Im a newbie. My first truck was a nissan 4-cyl....!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score

[ QUOTE ]
Ok so maybe thats the beginning of my problem....I dont know what I have. How do I find out the gears and tranny??
Please go easy on me Im a newbie. My first truck was a nissan 4-cyl....!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you might start by looking in your glove box to see if you still have the sticker with the codes or the options.
That will tell you everything you need to know.
If you don't have it, then we can walk you through checking things but it will be messy

R72K5

Banned
Reaction score

even if SPID label is intact still it probably wont list axle ratio other than it being GQ1 std

tranny just look under the truck and check the pan shape, cuz the model wont be listed on SPID label, just the RPO code, but if its a 700r4 it will say four speed auto at least, otherwise it will just say turbo hydramatic

Top Bottom