CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

When do ya call it..

sreidmx

Fortify Offroad
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ethel has pissed me off yet again... at what point does a guy toss in the towel??? I am not nor have I ever been a giver upper.. not out of being stubborn but more out of the challenge.. well having this challenge and dealing with this everyday is getting old.. I just want to drive the truck for a week without some kind of problem..

F.S.F.W

1 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ethel has pissed me off yet again... at what point does a guy toss in the towel??? I am not nor have I ever been a giver upper.. not out of being stubborn but more out of the challenge.. well having this challenge and dealing with this everyday is getting old.. I just want to drive the truck for a week without some kind of problem..
I don’t know that you ever really “call it”, but sometimes you have to step back and focus on something else for a little bit. Easier said than done though.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
After a year.... We lost the engine in the wife's Suburban, so I put an engine in it. Never could get it right. Talked to friends that are or were GM techs, scoured the web, replaced damn near everything, lost the transmission to the tune of $1400, got it back, lost the fuel pump, got it back and after a year of every single spare minute going into that thing, sold it for what I paid for the engine and got her a newer Malibu.

No regrets. I wish I had just scrapped it when the engine went. I could have spent that year working on my K5 or K2500 or house or anything else.

I was so discouraged after that, I sold the K5 that was a few hours work from running again as well. Bought the Xterra and have been happy. Its been dependable and I get to wheel it. Its no where near as capable but it's also not wedged behind the garage in a non-op condition.

What's more fun to you? Having something super capable that doesn't run or something that's much milder but you can get in and go any time you want.

obijuank5

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
Only time I called it was financial instability. Otherwise I just let em rest and think about what they have done.

Then come back a little later and revisit it with remembering why I like doing these things.

In short. I put the truck in time out.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Had a Volvo like that, problem after problem, never did like the damn thing anyway so I sold it.

diesel4me

1 ton status
- In Memoriam -
Reaction score
The "final straw" for the trucks I sold or scrapped was not so much the fact they needed a lot of work,and money put into them--it was the fact I am not able to physically DO any more hard labor,engine or trans swaps,etc....plus I had too many on the road to start with..

Now I'm down to just the '82 K2500 on the road,and its now a rusted unreliable P-O-S ,so it may not be long before I give up on that one as far as on-road daily driver duty..unfortunately the other two vehicles I've let sit far too long will require as much or more work & cash thrown at them to get them roadworthy..

Only reason I keep them all, is I see nothing better for sale under 3 grand around here,and I know how hard it is to find a square bosy here now...and I'm not really enthused about dropping down to a import gas saving beater either,none of those are for sale reasonably that are roadworthy I can afford either..whatever I spent on buying a gas sipper,getting it fixed up enough to trust anywhere,register and insure it,I can make any of my vehicles just as reliable for less money..

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
at what point does a guy toss in the towel???

You call it quits and sell it when its selling price exceeds the amount of fun you're getting out of it. I.E., when you can take the money and fund something more fun.

If someone offered you $50,000 for Ethel, your choice would be pretty easy. If someone offered you $500 for Ethel...well...how frustrated are ya? Only you can answer that. I've sold several cars for scrap value, without regrets. Just to get them gone so I can move onto other things. I'm not to that point right now (hence the trucks sitting in the barn), but I empathize with the "just wanna drive it!" sentiment.

Maybe you're ready for that kind of change? :dunno:

:popcorn:

Vombrown

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I get the frustration but to me working on these trucks is like a Rubik's Cube. Half the fun is figuring it out. I'm one that likes a challenge, I don't like screwing with little demons that keep popping up impeding my fun with a project but I try to keep a cool head about it. Expecting some issues you're pleasantly surprised when none show up.

sreidmx

Fortify Offroad
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Damn good advice guys! Thanks..
I’ve just been fighting little nagging things on it here and there and I am running out of stamina to keep going down this road..
it’s the typical if it’s not one thing it’s another.. and quite literally with this truck.. some of it is self inflicted(abuse or swap woes) so I understand that side of this but it still doesn’t change the fact that it’s never spent months without some sort of major failure completely obliterating any chance for me to save money or time or to be able to use that time to make more money... most of these things are required to drive it back and forth to work.. not selling just wondering.. pondering the whole thing is all..

tRustyK5

Big meanie
Staff member
Super Moderator
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
The key I think is the make each repair, or modification the best you can so it doesn't need attention again anytime soon. If you're making the same repair over and over its time to re-evaluate that part or area and determine what it will take to make it live longer.

Then remember the number of parts is finite. If every repair and mod is quality you will run out of problem areas sooner than later.

The problem is when the fixes resemble trail fixes...

My old 81 Jimmy was so damned reliable it was astounding. I literally would check the air in the tires, check the engine oil and drive it 2500 miles without issue. Hence my user name.

Anyways, step back, calm down and approach it logically. Then plan the work and work the plan...

Fastereddie

Sorry if I offended you. Not.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
The key I think is the make each repair, or modification the best you can so it doesn't need attention again anytime soon. If you're making the same repair over and over its time to re-evaluate that part or area and determine what it will take to make it live longer.

Then remember the number of parts is finite. If every repair and mod is quality you will run out of problem areas sooner than later.

The problem is when the fixes resemble trail fixes...

My old 81 Jimmy was so damned reliable it was astounding. I literally would check the air in the tires, check the engine oil and drive it 2500 miles without issue. Hence my user name.

Anyways, step back, calm down and approach it logically. Then plan the work and work the plan...
I always thought it was rusty. Not trusty. Haha

kgblazerfive

keymaster
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I have a personal rule, that doesn't really apply to a project vehicle. Unless said vehicle is basically done and I am driving it.

That being said, the rule is it two times to leave me stranded then it goes away. Depending on the level of being stranded also applies. When the tow burb lost the tensioner 29 miles from nowhere, it got the 29 back to town so doesn't rally count. So you can say it gained a notch.

tRustyK5

Big meanie
Staff member
Super Moderator
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
I always thought it was rusty. Not trusty. Haha

It was originally "Rusty but Trusty", and over time I got rid of the rusty parts. Reliable as could be though. I can think of maybe twice in all the time I owned it that I was left on the side of the road...and even then I was able to cobble it together enough to get me home.

Top Bottom