which home owners insurance company?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jekbrown, May 6, 2007.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

my wife and I are buying a house soon. We dunno which insurance company to use. Anyone have any thoughts / input about the various insurers? good or bad? I can't get USAA (****in' pogues say I am uneligble :rolleyes:)... so that is out. I don't want State Farm, because if a Katrina destroys my house they won't pay. I didn't like Allstate when I had them to insure my K5... so they are out too. My parents really like Pemco (washington only, AFAIK).

So, what do you guys use? any positive or negative things to say about your company or past companies you have used? I looked for a web site that might have info like this... but haven't come up with much. :(

j

2. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

I use AAA and like them a lot. They offer discounts. i have not had a problem with them. My Bro-in-law have Mercury for cars and house and he loves them.

3. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I have State Farm, and have a good friend who works for them, and since Katrina's bad rap, they are trying to turn their image around. With that said, last year there was a hail storm, (so minor that it didn't dent my junk outside) but my neighbor was getting re-roofed, so I inquired, he has state farm. I do too, so I call my agent, they called an adjuster, she comes out, and even though I can't see anything wrong on the roof, she says they'll cover the prevailing side, the west end of the house where the siding was cracked, and the 3 garage doors. Bottom line, I did labor work on the siding and doors, had the whole roof redone, including attached garage, and including stripping the old off, ended up costing me ~750$. The claim paid 10,400$. I'm happy with em.

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I have Farmers on both house and vehicles.....

5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

State farm on the vehicles and the house. I have a good agent, easy to deal with. I can make changes over the phone, meet with them once a year to discuss coverages. I've never had a claim against them, so I really can't say how they are on that side of the deal. I did get hit once (over 10 years ago) by a driver covered by their insurance, and I was treated very fairly.

6. SKI-'84K5

SKI-'84K5 1/2 ton status

USAA for everything, love em, sucks for ya but i have a good friend that works for state farm / aaa

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have Safeco (largest national insurance company) for my homeowners insurance and also both my cars. I've never had any trouble with them and on my vehicle related stuff they paid up very quickly. They are also the cheapest insurance company i've ever had. Not sure how you go about getting in touch with them though as i go through an agent. I can give you my agents name if you're interested.

8. Big Blzn

Big Blzn 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

X2 very good.

9. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Lemme respond to all these insurance agent job offers I've been getting and I'll be your agent! :D

10. jekbrown

well, guess I'll start calling 'round tomorow. Prolly gonna go with one of the following:

Amica (#1 rated on JD Power)
    Geico (wub their auto insurance!)
    Pemco (parents wub them, used them for years)

I'll get rate quotes from all 3 in any case. Not sure how much coverage I need though... :doah:

I'll check out the AAA web site... c what they have to say for themselves...

j

11. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Remember, homeowners insurance is like car insurance, in four years I bet you'll end up changing policies at least twice!

Mostly for better quotes at same or better coverage.

12. mrdrinksalil

mrdrinksalil 1/2 ton status

I have no idea whos the best, but I pay AllState to be "in good hands" every month

13. jekbrown

yeah, that is why I'm not tooooo worried aboot it. Assuming what I pay is fair, its all good. I can always change next year etc. Pemco emailed me back and called... their quote was cheap too. Might go with them. They are WA-specific... and they said in their email 'we give quotes to people fully aware that we aren't going to have to pay for hurricanes, tornados, flood damage, earthqueakes etc as much as we would in other states.' Gotta love it. :thumb:

j

14. jekbrown

ok, just got off the phone with Pemco. They want $398 a year. That sounds purdy good to me. My agent is emailing over the specifics. That quote is for $220,000 in coverage (if there is a total loss and I have to rebuild my house). Funny thing is, Adair homes etc can build a stick-built house hella cheap.... like $40/sq ft. The $220,000 is $150/sq ft. Oh well. If the house burns down, I'll build a nice 2-story, have the nicest garage/shop in town and plenty of $ left over for a supa-bling-bling home theater. ;)

j