CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

who has shaved their 60 front

UNCLE CRACKER

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
was thinking about shaving a little bit off of my dana 60 front. was wondering if anyone has done this and if you guys had pics of how much you shaved off.

84_Chevy_K10

Banned
Reaction score
I was looking at mine today and thought the same thing.

Since mine often runs in jeep ruts it usually has plenty of clearance. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

BadDog

SOL
Staff member
Super Moderator
Author
Reaction score
I shaved it and the C14FF to the bottom of the bolt head. But mostly concentrated on smoothing the bottom so there was nothing to hang on going forward or back.

Ryan B.

3/4 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Yes sir.

I gained almost 1/2". /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I grinded down past the lip to the flat spot on the bottom of the housing.
Just make sure you pull the cover off and check every so often before you get down past .500" thickness on the bottom of the housing. Glad i thought of checking before i went further. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

thefarside

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Stupid question, but does shaving the axle housing cause any structural weakness? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

juanblzer

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
here is randyellisdesign and a shaved dana 60, he related however, that trussing for hard use is usually a good idea.
MVC-009F.JPG

MVC-013F_small.JPG

Hossbaby50

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
It technically does but with axles like the D60 and especially the 14bff there is so much metal on the bottom that it is ok to shave them some. You don't really need 1" of metal on the bottom of the diffs unless you are dropping them really hard onto rocks all the time. Most people that I have seen keep around 1/2" of metal on the bottom and call it good.

Harley

Top Bottom