Will crank but won't turn over!

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by adamf085, Nov 30, 2015.

1. adamf085

adamf085 Registered Member

Hi my name is Adam and I need some help or advice with a problem I'm having with my new 1990 Chevy K5 Blazer 350 TBI. The truck has 137,000 original miles. All the gauges seem to work and function just fine. I bought it recently and it ran great. No major issues. I drove it for a few days. And i went to start it one morning and it wouldn't start. It will crank. Battery and starter are good. At least the starter sounds fine. Battery was even hooked up to my other truck to make sure it had a charge so that's fine too. I'm thinking a fuel issue. I removed the air filter and then sprayed some starting fluid in the throttle body but still didn't start. So at this point I was assuming I had a spark issue. It will just crank won't turn over. But, it feels like it wants to start too. It'll chug a little and smoke coming out the exhaust too like it sounds like it's combusting. And I smell gas too. It may even be leaking somewhere too cuz I have a few small leaks and one kinda smells like gas. I'm not sure though. I may have flooded it too.... Haha! I am really not sure. I don't much about these trucks quite yet. But I'm hoping to learn more. I guess my first question is:

1: is there some sort of bleeder valve for fuel to bleed it if it is flooded? If so, where? Or if there isn't something like that, how would you fix it if it was flooded?

2: if it isn't flooded, any suggestions on what the problem may be?

I did pump the gas too even tho I know it is fuel injected and you shouldn't have to. But it sounded like it wanted to start but wasn't when I first tried to crank it over that morning and it did nothing even when I pumped the gas. As of now, I am thinking i flooded it. Also, I listened for the fuel pump and it'll buzz when I turn the key. I stuck my ear near the tank and it buzzes. Seems to function okay by the sound of it. I'm lost now haha. If anyone could help me out. That would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!!

2. stump_puller

stump_puller 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    Sounds like it could be the module under the rotor is bad. Need to pull a spark plug out and see it you are in fact getting spark. If no spark then change the module. If it does have spark then you need to see it you can pull any trouble codes from the computer.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just a bit of clarification as in the wrong context it can matter. Cranking is turning over. It will crank/turn over, but will not start.

I'd agree on checking for spark. If you have a spare plug, it's really easy and doesn't involve getting shocked. Remove a plug wire, connect to the spare plug, lay the plug on the intake (something metal) and have someone crank it.

TBI (and at least some other forms of GM EFI like TPI) has what is called "clear flood mode". If you hold the pedal to the floor while cranking, no fuel will be injected.

4. adamf085

Thanks for the replies. This site has been very helpful. I've been looking around on here and found some possible solutions, and I got it running. It was flooded. I just simply put my foot to the floor on the gas pedal and cranked it over and it fired right up. Which is weird but whatever it started. Thanks for the help. I still think that I need some fuel related things to replace because while driving the truck will hesitate like its misfiring, but I am throwing no codes. And my plugs and wires look fairly new like I said before. So I will look into that down the road. Thanks for replying guys!

5. adamf085

I don't know anything about these trucks. Need to learn up on them because I plan on keeping this thing for a while. I have only had it for a little over a week now haha

WyOSteve likes this.
  6. WyOSteve

WyOSteve 1/2 ton status

Stump, would using a timing light be eayser? Light lights, you gots spark... I found a bad wire that way.

adamf085 likes this.
  7. stump_puller

stump_puller 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    You are correct. That's the way I have checked mine in the past, thought it was just a redneck way to check for spark. Figured I would suggest the correct way to check. Well at least that's what I see on the cars shows.

WyOSteve likes this.