CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Zoo'z Pre BB2021 Extravzooganza

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'm just doing some digital recon going over the NPS website for Canyonlands. So far it looks like if we only go over the Shafer trail we do not have to buy a day use permit. Each vehicle will have to buy a park pass. The pass can be bought online through recreation.gov and is good for 7 days.

I'm looking at coming in early and possibly driving the white rim road trail the Tuesday/Wednesday before BB. Only problem there is a Backcountry permit is required has to be reserved for those days through the same website. Every day is reserved through the end of the he year. 25 permits are available per day in person at the ranger station.

Anybody coming in early is welcome to come along. White rim is not extreme rock crawling but is a technical trail with some challenging sections. What it lacks in rock crawling it makes up by it's sheer remoteness and scenery. The park service limits groups to 3 vehicles so only two more could come and stay under the limit.

If this sounds interesting to anybody let me add some points to note on this kind of travel.

Must be self sufficient, the trail is 100 miles long. One night will be spent on the trail somewhere (pending campsite availability). Must be able to carry extra fuel and water. It's going to be hot so having enough water to stay hydrated is critical. One has to be confident to drive the narrow shelves and high switchbacks of the trail. Many are loose rock with some ledges.

I don't have an issue running alone, but having other trucks along increases the safety factor and it's more fun to share the experience with others. If anyone is willing let me know. I've got more logistics to figure out prior to going. I will have a backup plan to go to on the chance no permits are available the day I intend to start the trail.

ashman

What's a pigeonrat??
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Sounds like an absolute blast! I am coming in early, but I'm not sure I'm ready for 100 miles and an overnight. I'll see what I can do in the meantime to figure out what I'd need to pull that off.

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Sounds like an absolute blast! I am coming in early, but I'm not sure I'm ready for 100 miles and an overnight. I'll see what I can do in the meantime to figure out what I'd need to pull that off.
Well I do carry a tow rope on the off chance you nuke another 4L60e out there. I'm pretty sure the 8.1 can tug it. :haha:

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
All kidding aside, if no campsites are available it is possible to cover most of the trail in a day. It's a long day but I've found blm campsites outside the park boundary that could be a target.

Also, anybody willing to subject themselves to this type of fun just know if you need help carrying gear, I've got room. I've played Sherpa before and have my gear pretty sorted out. So if a tent or other gear needs hauled we can toss it in mine. I just don't have room for coolers.

Blazer Bash

Wishing we were in Moab
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm just doing some digital recon going over the NPS website for Canyonlands. So far it looks like if we only go over the Shafer trail we do not have to buy a day use permit. Each vehicle will have to buy a park pass. The pass can be bought online through recreation.gov and is good for 7 days.

I'm looking at coming in early and possibly driving the white rim road trail the Tuesday/Wednesday before BB. Only problem there is a Backcountry permit is required has to be reserved for those days through the same website. Every day is reserved through the end of the he year. 25 permits are available per day in person at the ranger station.

Anybody coming in early is welcome to come along. White rim is not extreme rock crawling but is a technical trail with some challenging sections. What it lacks in rock crawling it makes up by it's sheer remoteness and scenery. The park service limits groups to 3 vehicles so only two more could come and stay under the limit.

If this sounds interesting to anybody let me add some points to note on this kind of travel.

Must be self sufficient, the trail is 100 miles long. One night will be spent on the trail somewhere (pending campsite availability). Must be able to carry extra fuel and water. It's going to be hot so having enough water to stay hydrated is critical. One has to be confident to drive the narrow shelves and high switchbacks of the trail. Many are loose rock with some ledges.

I don't have an issue running alone, but having other trucks along increases the safety factor and it's more fun to share the experience with others. If anyone is willing let me know. I've got more logistics to figure out prior to going. I will have a backup plan to go to on the chance no permits are available the day I intend to start the trail.
Just to be clear, this will not be a Blazer Bash approved run or covered by our permit.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Depending on permit availability for the White rim in Canyonlands plan B could be Lockhart Basin. Looking at the reservation website all the permits for the days prior to BB are taken. There are 25 available per day at the Island in the sky visitor center. But it's a gamble. Lockhart is on BLM land and no reservations needed. The first two miles are difficult but the rest is easier.

r3dd0g

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Lockhart basin is a long long bumpy trail. Wade and I did it a few years ago, the first year I brought the S-10.

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Lockhart basin is a long long bumpy trail. Wade and I did it a few years ago, the first year I brought the S-10.
I think Lockhart is shorter than white rim, but it's outside of canyonlands so no dealing with permits. I'm pretty used to days long bumpy trails for sure.

The goal in either case is just being off the grid for a couple of days and soaking up the great scenery. It's solid 1 on 1 time with my son.

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
After talking to Larry since he got back from the desert trip I've decided to really shoot for the White Rim trail before BB. He and my buddy Ian ran it on the trip and gave me some pretty good insight on the trail, permits, and the campsites. There are no reservations available online, but as Larry found a backcountry permit can be bought the same day and the ranger advised they have many no-shows and cancellations for the campsites. It's a gamble, but I'll have a backup track in mind if it doesn't pan out.

I've been advised NOT to do Lockhart alone. It would lead to a 40-mile backtrack to get on the other side of the river to run as well. I have a few other tracks in mind that could lead to some similar adventure and still jump off from ut-313

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I've had to scale back a little bit on my plans prior to Blazer bash. My mom is holding steady at a nursing home. I've got the week off, but I'm going to. Spend the first part of it visiting her and heading for Moab on Wednesday.

She's exceeded expectations and after talking it over with her last weekend she wants me to take some time off to get some dirt therapy. Stuff at work and at home have me a bit frazzled so I need a break anyway.

Instead of white rim or Lockhart the current plan is to hit top of the world on the way in Wednesday afternoon. We'll camp at a dispersed spot on the trail. Thursday we will roll the rest of the way to Moab in the morning.

I'm not sure if we will complete top of the world that afternoon and then camp or do it in the morning. Really depends on the status of I-70 through Glenwood Canyon. We will be coming from Denver so I-70 will be the most direct route. Supposedly they should have a lane open in each direction next week. If not I may be taking the detour through Leadville and over Independence pass and swing by Carbondale on the way back to the interstate.

Top Bottom