CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

05+ GM 14 bolt full float

Reaction score
I'm starting to rebuild my 1979 K5 that had caught on fire. I'm 1 ton swapping it. My question is how to mount this 05+ 14 bolt ff rear end to my blazer using leaf springs. The stock spring perches on the 1 ton axle is roughly 49 inches apart. And the distance on the leaf springs that are on the k5 now are roughly 43 inches. So obviously I have to make something wider. I guess my main concern/question is if I remover the perches on the newer 1 ton and weld them on the 43 inch center to match what's on the k5 now. Is that a common thing to do.

Truck now has
corporate 10 bolt 8 lug front
Corporate 14 bolt SF

I'm swapping in
05+ GM 14 bolt FF
05+ Ford dana 60

cheavyk10

5.slow
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Yes, cutting and moving the perches is easy and very common. Then you can dial in you pinion angle as well.
Also you should be at 42.5" center to center just to clear that up.

HankScorpio

Customize everything
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have an AAM 10.5 (the late model 14 bolt you have) in my K5. The pinion angle was too flat with the stock perches and a 4" lift so that needs dealt with anyway. Move the perches in and fix the angle all at once. If you are careful you can get the perches off with a grinder and reuse them, its what I did.

Unless you are redoing the brake lines all the way you can adapt for the calipers right at the spring perch using a stock rubber brake line for the '05 probably. Mine was an '03 I think and I used the rubber lines from the same year. Welded a washer to the spring plate to hold the junction between the rubber line and hard line. Not near the rig right now but I will try and remember to snap a pic.

Top Bottom