Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt F.F.Detroit Retrofitting:

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Don, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Perhap's You know this already, maybe You don't.

I have both an Eaton rear axle under My truck, and I purchased a 14 Bolt a week ago, to build up for a swap.

I took a look at the axle shaft's, and they are the same length, @31 1/2 short shaft, and 37 1/2 long shaft. Both the same diameter, Eaton/14 Bolt. Eaton 17 Spline, 14 Bolt ? 30?

I then took the side gear's for the Eaton, and they are the same height, diameter etc, they fit into the 14 Bolt Carrier.

The Cross, for the spider's/pinion's, fit's into the 14 bolt carrier as well.

This mean's that the older style, Detroit Locker, [called No-Spin too] will fit into the 14 Bolt carrier.

If You don't want to fork over close to $385.00 for a 14 bolt Detroit, then go to Your local Pic a Part, and look for a Detroit, out of a 1960-1972 Chevy, GMC 3/4 ton Pickup.
    Pick up the Eaton Axle shaft's too, You'll need em to make this work.

Just thought I's pass this info on to You. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Build(s):
    Actually if this works the better thing to to would be to use C14FF axle shafts, open carrier and detroit to upgrade the Eaton from 17 spline to 30 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif And those 14 bolt detroits are more like $300 if you know where to shop /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

so why are you going to the 14 bolt if you are going to run the old axles?

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

The Axle's make no difference to Me. The set in the truck now have over 100,000 on em and are still going strong.

The only reason is, a pinion bearing set for the Eaton, run's right at $205.00 just for pinion bearing's and a race, both race's are machined into one piece, it's preset, no way to adjust it other than, pinion depth.

And as You know, the Eaton style is a drop out center section, just one more place for an oil leak. Drop out to housing.

To try to save money, Why buy a new Detroit for $380.00 when You already have one? And You can pick up an Old Eaton Carrier, with a Detroit here, for around $30.00 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And finding Gear's for the old Eaton is getting hard, You can find 4:56, 5:13, all day long but they are'nt in good condition. There is one company, can't remember their name, that make's new gear's for the Eaton but only in 3:90, and 4:10. At $400.00 a set. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

14 Bolt's have a Slew of available Gear's for them, for $170.00, $190.00 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif