CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

14bolt thinkerin

SpeedlabDan

Keepin it trashy never classy
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
so not that this will happen any time soon I was just havin a think bc there's a 2001 disc brake 14bff lurking around my shop that I may truss up and lock for my k5. Now it seems everyone still uses the drum brake axle and convert for weight savings and performance. My question is, other than the center section having the extra webbing; is this axle worth using? It's 4.10 open and the calipers and rotors are trash but the brackets are there.

obijuank5

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
The disc brake axles are usually more expensive than our older drum axles. They are a good swap to match width to the front axle and good disc brakes.

They do have metric lug studs and dont bolt in at all but it's basically the same axle inside.

Bent77

curmudgeon Status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Probably don’t need to truss it

6872xtc

make mine modified
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
I guess that I didn't know there was any significant weight difference between the old ones and the newer axles. I have one from an '04 that I am holding onto until I find out if the brackets I have will swap the '04 discs to the old axle properly. I figured that if all else fails, I will build one axle out of the 2.
I want the E brake at the wheels in case I need to pull the rear shaft for some reason. I wouldn't have to rely on just something blocking the tires.

SpeedlabDan

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
The disc brake axles are usually more expensive than our older drum axles. They are a good swap to match width to the front axle and good disc brakes.

They do have metric lug studs and dont bolt in at all but it's basically the same axle inside.
If I use it I'll link it so I'm not too concerned with fitment but width is good. I was thinkin about the metric studs though

SpeedlabDan

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I guess that I didn't know there was any significant weight difference between the old ones and the newer axles. I have one from an '04 that I am holding onto until I find out if the brackets I have will swap the '04 discs to the old axle properly. I figured that if all else fails, I will build one axle out of the 2.
I want the E brake at the wheels in case I need to pull the rear shaft for some reason. I wouldn't have to rely on just something blocking the tires.
Was also thinkin about that issue wit the e brake but I love the simplicity

6872xtc

make mine modified
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
So has anyone looked up parts to see if it's possible to install standard studs?
I thought that they used the same axle seals, maybe there is more at the hub end in common?

SpeedlabDan

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
So has anyone looked up parts to see if it's possible to install standard studs?
I thought that they used the same axle seals, maybe there is more at the hub end in common?
Maybe just force some sae studs in there? Lol

Top Bottom