CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

1989 K5: the slowest resurrection

nocoasthardcore

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
"I'll only have these heads off for two days; this tote over these fender covers will be fine...."
Fast forward most of a decade and I obviously never got those heads back on.

nvrenuf

Klaatu barada nikto
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
With a little soap and water I bet that truck will clean up really nice.

If you want the title for the slowest build you'll need to put it back in the garage. There are a few of us that'll give you a run for your money. :doah:

nocoasthardcore

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
The truck was -so- clean when I bought it. Which is a good enough lead-in to the convoluted back story part of the thread.

I bought this truck in the spring of 2002 from a sketchy little dealership in Garden City, Kansas. It had 112k on the clock and I was the third owner and was clean, clean, clean with the exception of off-colored paint on the passenger front fender from a previous repair.

Much later in a wintry mountian road gaurd rail incident we learned that bondo can be applied by monkeys and will apparently attach itself to unpreped paint and can be put on an inch thick. . . but that is another tale for another time.

The first summer I owned the truck it became the official road trip vehicle for my siblings and I. We took it to concerts in KCMO, Colorado, Wichita, etc. al..

This truck is also the reason I became a CK5 member. We wanted to take the top off and it just wouldn't come free. CK5 to the rescue and I learned about the under rail bolts.

The only modifications were 33 inch tires; a CD player, amp and 6x9s, and a hydrogen reformer experiment that resulted in a reliable 19MPG and a ton of odd electrical problems.

I put 68K miles on it over six-ish years. It moved me or my brothers from various colleges and cities, took us about Colorado and Kansas on many adventures and was just the best thing ever.

Then in a dark time of life drinking became a bit of a problem and that problem culminated in destroying the front clip with a pair of trees. Thank God that wake up call only cost me truck and pride injuries and no one's life.

After that I continued to drive it for another six or so months until the engine let go.

Great plans for fixing it were launched, stalled and after nine years untouched here we are.

Last edited:

nocoasthardcore

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
While the truck itself was interred in the barn it was not forgotten. Parts collection and outlandish, ever changing dreams were afoot.

And by parts collection I mean buying up trucks.

Bent77

curmudgeon Status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Donors are good

nocoasthardcore

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Many decisions to make, and plans to be sorted. Including, but not limited to the engine.

I have two 5.3s waiting in the wings. The one below is a 78K mile example that ate its own camshaft I purchased as a core.
The other is a 207K mile one that was meticulously maintained and when I bought the truck ran well and did not show any signs of abnormal oil consumption.

The question there is known quantity vs. questionable history.

Last edited:

Fastereddie

Sorry if I offended you. Not.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
Id stick the 207k motor in then start building a nice fresh one from the cam muncher.

Bent77

curmudgeon Status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Some decent looking stuff in there

@handloader90 might be interested in a SWB if you find one/ have on for sale

AbramJ

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Jealous of those parts trucks. Any of them happen to have Hickey/Confer axle trusses?

Top Bottom