1991 Crewcab front coil over input

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mckustomfab, Apr 13, 2019.

1. mckustomfab

mckustomfab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    So with the way my project crewcab has been snowballing I decided to find some bigger axles than the current D60/14bolt. After some searching and research I decided on some 2008 Ford F550 axles, D60 super front and Spicer S110 rear axle. The axles are massive and the rear will be straight forward but the front is what I am seeking help on. My plan is to utilize the Ford radius arm mounts but use some fabricated links. I am looking for input from anyone who is running a front link setup or anyone with helpful input on link setups. Here is the rig the axles are going onto and a few of the axles.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My current tentative plan is to use some of ORD frame side link mounts and use a axle swap kit similar to the one below. With the planned use and sheer size of my truck I am not super concerned with tons of articulation or travel. With that said I have not decided on what link layout I want to use... Originally I wanted to use a radius setup but I have been leaning toward a 4 link (w/ panhard). Hit me with some knowledge!!
    [​IMG]

Desert_K5 likes this.
  2. sweetk30

sweetk30 selective wrench turner guy Premium Member

Build(s):
    I have driven lifted Ford radius arm and 4-link dodge stuff . I prefer radius for real use and if flexy stuff then link .

Now if money is no object i would LOVE to try a full front & rear ORD 4-link setup .

Dont forget KISS method And price point .

Big Ray likes this.
  3. obijuank5

obijuank5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Ryan's cummins k30 runs 350/350 for coil rates on his 4 link. I think your plan is pretty good as long as you can fit that trac bar and a sway bar.

4. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Radius arms are simply and easy. And can flex just fine. I'd likely design my own stuff using the factory mounts on the axle. I don't like how much clearance those stock arms give up. Likely you'll have to fab your own bracket on the frame for the upper mount

5. mckustomfab

Build(s):
    Flex is not a real concern and that is why radius arms are still a option. I plan on mocking it up on a spare frame to see what lays out better. As far as the KISS method, I wanted to keep my ORD leafs but the more I measured the more clear it became that it wouldn't work. I have thought about running coil springs but it will depend on packaging, plus coilovers are easier to set up but expensive....

Thanks for the numbers! I was going to hit up ORD and see what they has to say about spring rate. Packageing will be the big hurdle but hopefully with the amount of lift I need it it creates a little more room. I am also going to try and keep the swaybar I currently have setup

Desert_K5 likes this.
  6. Desert_K5

Desert_K5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

7. Desert_K5

Desert_K5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm no help here, just wanted to say badass rig. I'd love to put an M1010 ambulance box on my crew.

8. MetalMulishaMarcus

MetalMulishaMarcus 1 Ton Status Premium Member

Maybe Steve @sreidmx will chime in. Hes good on this subject. Lol

9. mckustomfab

Build(s):
    A bit of warning, the big boxes make tires looks small... With that box and 37's it was almost comical, 42's still looked odd, I think the 46's finally have the right proportions.

Desert_K5 likes this.
  10. mckustomfab

Build(s):
    Simplicity is the main reason that the radius arm option is still on the table, my main concern is that the link will need to be fairly flat. The factory radius arms will go into the scrap pile in favor of some arm that should line up with the frame rail. The cast radius arm mounts on the axle are about 1" wider per side than the chevy frame rail and I would like to bend the links so they can line up with the frame. Here is a drawing of how I would like it to be setup, this drawing has the 4 link (w/ panhard) but a radius arm setup would be very similar.
    [​IMG]

11. blazinzuk

Build(s):
    Easy easy to do radius arms like that. Just bring that lower arm to the upper arm and be done. Like you said flex is not a huge concern. But with radius arms that long it should still flex decent. As long as your not using bushings everywhere.

12. Big Ray

Big Ray 1 ton status Premium Member

Ted Nugent's bronco with radius arms...

Click

13. mckustomfab

Build(s):
    So my plan for joints is to run the Johnny Joints (good enough for ORD, good enough for me) at the frame side and the OEM bushings on the axle. I think my main reason for keeping the 4 link as a option is that i have heard that it allows the pinion angle to change relative to the axles travel. That being said, I don't know if it will effect me enough to warrant the added complexity. I am probably way over thinking this...

14. sweetk30

sweetk30 selective wrench turner guy Premium Member

Build(s):
  15. blazinzuk

Build(s):
    It won't and you are! Lol.

Thinking alot about a linked front end is a good thing. But start reading. There is lots if info out there. The reason you need to search out several sources is, well it's the internet, there is plenty of wrong info. The correct info usually ends up being repeated several times. And typically makes more sense

16. mckustomfab

Build(s):
    Yeah, I tend to over think/plan projects...

I have done some searching, mostly on ford forums and they seem to echo what I am hearing here. This is the drawing I did with the radius arm setup and also some pics a SD axle swap that was done on a Bronco with radius arms that is very similar to what I am trying to accomplish.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

skunked likes this.