CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

1993 TBI motor into 1996 Vortec truck?

kennyw

@N9PHW, @chop.shop.squarebody on IG
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I am currently parting out a 1993 G30 and the TBI 350 motor runs well. I just picked up this 1996 K1500 with a presumed bad 350 vortec motor (grinding nose while running according to the PO.

I'm curious about what if anything I can use from the donor van engine?
20210826_195654.jpg 20210826_161628.jpg

Wes Harden

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
I would inspect the vortec, remove belt and see if grinding is still there. or the flex plate, cover, starter nose. Don't take their word for it.

you could use the tbi short block with the vortec intake and heads if they are sound. Make more power with vortec heads on average

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vortec engjne has a crank sensor on the timing cover . And as said the heads up . It can be done but to what point do you just find a vortec engine and drop it in and go .

kennyw

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I would inspect the vortec, remove belt and see if grinding is still there. or the flex plate, cover, starter nose. Don't take their word for it.

you could use the tbi short block with the vortec intake and heads if they are sound. Make more power with vortec heads on average

Vortec engjne has a crank sensor on the timing cover . And as said the heads up . It can be done but to what point do you just find a vortec engine and drop it in and go .
I definitely plan on inspecting and finding the real issue first. That is the reason I have a good running TBI motor with 135K miles in a van when the PO said the motor was shot...

I agreed to trade for this truck because the guy said it was a 95 when he first messaged and I thought I had the right motor. Turned out to be a 96 when I got there though but was still worth grabbing it and I was already there with a trailer.

This will be a good winter beater. With the van being a 350 TBI/4L80E and the pickup a 350 Vortec/4L60E, probably too many differences to mix parts though and be worth the time. Hopefully, this Vortec engine is still good and it was something stupid creating the grinding noise.

Wes Harden

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Just need to use the loom and computer for tbi, change to tbi fuel pump and add an inline filter. Should be much easier then ls swap in place of gen 1

kennyw

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Just need to use the loom and computer for tbi, change to tbi fuel pump and add an inline filter. Should be much easier then ls swap in place of gen 1
I would also expect I need a different computer than the one that controls the 4L80E?

Top Bottom