CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

20 years and still not done

fastazz81

Oldazz
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
fastazz81 submitted a new Build:

20 years and still not done

View attachment 202896 Well I'm sitting at my daughters stem fair showcase while she is presenting her project I figured I'd start a build thread on my 73 k5. Not a lot of pictures from when I first started 20 years ago and the ones I do have are poor quality but here goes.
So it all started because I was saving money to go on a trip with my girlfriend, she dumped me and the money was burning a hole in my pocket, so what's a 20 year old to do? Well I bought a 73 blazer minus engine , t- case and trans laying in the bed with a ton of parts some that actually went to it.

Read more about this build here...

Last edited by a moderator:

fastazz81

Oldazz
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
It was originally 307 powered with 3 on the tree Dana 20 t- case 10 bolt rear Dana 44 front and 4:10 gears. I had a H.O. 305 laying around so I threw that in and I guy I worked with was getting his 87 gmc reppoed so I ended up getting a deal on. His 4 inch lift and 36 inch buckshots so I threw that all together and you have the first pic of it that I could find out at the ocean.

fastazz81

Oldazz
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
After doing several burn outs one afternoon trying to impress another girl I proceed to let several teeth off of my ring gear and out the cover, so limped it home and cleaned it up while I decided what to do

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

fastazz81

Oldazz
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
While it was sitting broke one of my friends that I helped put on his race car conned me into building my own and I also started looking for my own house, dad was getting a little worried that I was gonna take all of his parking with my fleet of junk,found a used rear end and threw it in and then proceeded to blow a head gasket shortly after that , had started racing and that was taking all my fun money so the blazer sat for about a year

image.jpeg

fastazz81

Oldazz
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Decided to build a vortec headed 350 after I just got done building a383 for my c10 and my friends dad who was part owner of a machine shop and one of my sponsors put together a new motor for my race car so topped off the radiator in the blazer and proceeded to go pick up all three engines from his shop one of the best days of my life up till that point.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

fastazz81

Oldazz
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
New motor twice the power and still no smarter I let the teeth fly on yet another rear diff, right about the time that I was signing papers on my new house so the blazer sat for awhile again. Was at a swap meet one spring and ended up with a mid to late 70s 3/4 ton frame complete with rear 14 bolt front 8 lug 44 with a Detroit locker 205 t-case and 465 trans and driveshafts so swapped all that and new six inch lift onto it and then decided it needed 39 inch boggers

image.jpeg

fastazz81

Oldazz
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Well now i could do a hell of a burnout pull the front end off of the ground and nothing in the rear would break , I still wasn't getting any smarter but was having a lot of fun with it. Drove it like that for a couple years and then some friends who all had heeps and toyotas said I should quit playing in the mudd and go wheeling with them . So found the normal weak links. Necked down front axle shafts and that the steering becomes nonexistent when front suspension is flexed . So now I wanted a Dana 60 crossover steering power steering cooler and a winch. It never ends.

fastazz81

Oldazz
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Now being a homeowner really cut into my fun money almost non existent, I swapped new axle shafts into it and just went to mud bogs for awhile, was starting to do alright with the race car and had several sponsors so only big cost was fuel so the blazer got parked while I saved and surchef for parts , it was harder back then without the internet, had to read news paper classifieds and look at a lot of over priced junk in person

fastazz81

Oldazz
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
So changed jobs a few times race track got closed and they built houses on it,and I ended up finding a woman who thought me and my hobbies were cool , so got married had a daughter and that really cut down on garage time. I wouldn't trade it though! So fast forward 7 years decided I was done racing so pulled the motor and traded the rolling chassis for a Dana 60 front and 70 rear out of a mid 80s dually. Swapped the outlets to single wheel hubs and also scored a rear 14 bolt with a Detroit and 4:56 gears that matched my Dana 60 so the axle swapping was on again.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

fastazz81

Oldazz
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Then started on the rusted out rockets and floor boards and also swapped the rusted out front clip for one off of a 84 surburban that I ended up with

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

fastazz81

Oldazz
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Decided to toss the motor out of the race car in the blazer while I pulled the motor in the blazer to add a roller cam and some new gaskets. Which brings it to where it is to day , pass side floor board and rocker done , drivers side still waiting , motor on stand in garage waiting for attention and winch waiting to be mounted

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

F.S.F.W

1 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Haha nice! I've had 10 bolt parts land at my feet once! It's cool that you hung on to this for so long! I had a 79 ford on 40s that I bought right after high school that took me and my buddies round the world. Sorry to compare yours to a ford. I just know how the memories somehow get stored up inside of these things! Lots of broken parts due to my heavy right foot and big ego. I'll be watching this one!

sreidmx

Fortify Offroad
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
That's a cool story, similar to my rigs, my dad went through a similar deal with his.. Hoping to keep that goin. Bad rig dude.

Top Bottom