2000 GMC K2500 Sierra Crew Cab Stepside

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by TerryD, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Larry

Larry 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

A windy corner of a dirty street: Pueblo West, CO
    Very cool truck! I love the idea of a crew cab Sportside on a 3/4 ton 4x4 chassis. Nice install :waytogo:

2. noJeepshere

noJeepshere I Drive Trains! Premium Member

Build(s):
    I would think it would be easier to sell that rack and buy one for a full width bed with a cap, and cut the cross rails to fit your step side. Just an idea.

3. TerryD

TerryD Mildly demented... Premium Member

Build(s):
    Thanks! I'm pretty pleased with it. I like the look of it a lot but some days I wonder if the fleet side wouldn't be easier to deal with when dreaming about slide in campers and stuff like that but that's a good ways off.
    Tried that route first. I can buy 3-4 of these racks for the price of a used rack for a shell. Then, because of the lack of an inner bed rail lip would still have to do something similar to mount it without drilling a bunch of holes in the rails. I don't like drilling holes to mount stuff so I have to go with stuff like this. It really is a pain but I cringe at the thought of drilling into the bed rail. I like to be able to take stuff off and never know it was there.

4. TerryD

Build(s):
    Everything I've thought of to mount my ladder rack on the GMC hasn't been feasible either due to cost or lack of equipment. So do you guys think that four to six bolts down through each bed rail would be stout enough to hold it up.

It would be 3/8" thick flat metal going outside the shell and uprights of a ladder rack welded to it. The bolts would probably be some 3/8" flat head bolts with flat washers and lock-nuts underneath.

5. GWeakland620

GWeakland620 THE CK5 Crayon Eater Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    How much weight do you plan on putting on it? As well as how much does it weigh itself?

6. TerryD

Build(s):
    It probably weighs around 130lbs. Rated to carry 800lbs but I doubt I put that much up there. Couple sticks of tube or angle. Few 2x4s and the like.

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Build(s):
    Your weakest link is going to be the sheet metal you bolt the plate down to. Reinforce under the sheet metal with large washers and spread the load out as much as possible. It should hold up fine.

8. TerryD

Build(s):
    The bed rails are approximately a 2"x4" box on the stepside bed and I was going to use with heavy fender washers or make up some plates to get maximum surface area covered underneath.

I just can't come up with a better means to do what I want and still be able to have full inside width of the bed.

9. TerryD

Build(s):
    So I abandoned the rack idea and just went with the camper shell. It made the trip to the beach this year so nice. All our gear locked up and safe from the weather so we didn't have to worry while traveling.

Also before the trip I replaced all the for lock motors, the front door handles, passenger side door hinge pin bushings and the front speakers. Also bought a set of Iron Cross Automotive Stainless Steel wheel to wheel step tubes for it. It turned out that they are wheel to wheel length for extended can only, not crew but they fit and work well and are stainless so I stuck with them.

I'm considering a zero rate for the rear to level it back up after having to add a little more lift to the front to stop some scrubbing, but nothing doing soon. Anyways, here's how she sits now!

[​IMG]

noJeepshere likes this.
  10. GWeakland620

GWeakland620 THE CK5 Crayon Eater Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Truck looks good still! I'm still debating on running fender flares. This gives me a good idea of what it would look like.

TerryD likes this.
  11. TerryD

Build(s):
    That's about 1.5" bar crank in the front on 285/75/16's. The 4wd trucks came with flares and I stuck with them even though they don't quite fit right in the rear. I'm probably the only person who knows they don't and I'd say a solid 98% of people who see the truck don't realize what it is.

12. TerryD

Build(s):
    Found a picture of the t-nuts I made to attach the topper. With the step side bed, there is no bed lip to clamp the top to the way you would a fleet side box. I made these and tapped them 1/2-13. They go down in the stake pockets, turn 90* then pull up against the pocket to hold them while you tighten the bolts. Works great! Tops hasn't shifted a bit and I didn't have to drill the bed to mount the topper. Should be easy to get off/on, but I've not removed it since putting it on a few months ago. I need to replace the driver's side window on the topper, the hinge is all jacked up and it won't open. Don't know what that'll cost, but it's a $50 topper so just about any way you stack it, I'm coming out ahead.

noJeepshere likes this.