Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2004 Yukon XL 2500 Autoride shock delete using Bilsteins

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by jeff in co, Oct 18, 2015.

1. jeff in co

jeff in co 1/2 ton status Premium Member

After replacing my Auto-ride shocks last year with some Monroe Auto-Ride shocks off of Amazon, I thought all was good. I'll be able to keep the factory stuff and not modify anything to maintain stock equipment.

Flash forward a year....and I start getting the Service Ride Control error again. I was not going to, and also convince my wife, that we need more new shocks at $195 each, that we just fixed last year.

So I call Monroe. Sorry, we don't offer warranty on any "specialty shocks"....basically, I'm out of luck. Back to Amazon. Explained the situation but they also noted on their website that the warranty was lifetime. After a bit of back and forth, I got the majority of all 4 shocks refunded and ready to try a different approach.

The 2500's don't have the air ride compressor in the back...only electric dampening. So I order up 4 new Bilstein 5100's and some resistors. Had to cut off the connector and solder in the new resistors, but since install (2 months or so)...still no errors!

The ride is slightly more plush than the stock, autoride shocks. Definitely better, but not earthshattering. However, at $800 vs. $292 (with resistors).....way more worth it!!

Just wanted to pass it along.

Resistors I used:
    Chasis Mounted Aluminum Housed 25W 3.9 Ohm 5% Wirewound Resistors
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008AGMD1A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Shocks I used:

Bilstein 24-186735 Front Shock for GM K2500 and 3500
    Bilstein (24-185783) 5100 Series Shock Absorber

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009FU66FO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages02
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009FU7RZM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages02

Smokinthehippies likes this.
  2. Scott Hancock

Scott Hancock 89GMC Premium Member

Nice and thanks for the info. Contemplating doing the same on my 2002 2500 Burb'. Still smooth sailing with the error message?

3. jeff in co

jeff in co 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes, still going good and strong! Not one error since installation.

4. Scott Hancock

Scott Hancock 89GMC Premium Member

Thanks Jeff.