Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

52 Steering box

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Da-Rock, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Da-Rock

Da-Rock Registered Member

Well the saga to fix the steering in my 1952 Chevy pickup has made another twist.

No one seems to be able to fabricate a column to work with a tilt wheel because it is a one piece column and gear box.

The original idea of cutting in a universal joint may not be possible......(the one guy in the Sacramento area who said he could do it kept putting us off with excusses about his time)

I am now being told to replace the entire steering box. The issue is finding one that will work. The pitman arm is on the inside and mounts over the top of the frame.

Does anyone know what year gear box will work in this situation?

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok, how soon are you looking to do something with this? I have done this before so i know it is possible regardless of what other people are telling you. Give Bill a call and ask how much for a tilt steering column from a 67-72 chevy truck. http://www.vintagechevytrucks.com/ That column should be the 2" outside diameter housing which is easy to install in your 52 chevy.

3. Da-Rock

We already purchased an Ididit 30" column. I have waited to buy a universal joint because up until today I wasn't sure if the inside steering rod/spindle etc was round or square. I am pretty sure I will need to buy a universal joint with one square end and the other round.......if they make that.

Would you suggest something different?

The worst part about this is that my nephew thought he knew what he was doing and pulled the steering column out some. Apparently something moved off etc because it has so much play now that it is undrivable.

We are supposed to drive it to Stockton this Sunday and drop it off with the painter who needs it now because this is his only window for a long time and he is letting us pay $2000 now and the rest of the $3000 over the next couple of months. The paintjob he is doing is worth more then $6000 so you can feel my pain if we can't get it to him.

Here is a pic of what we are dealing with:
    [​IMG]

and another one:

[​IMG]

4. 4X4HIGH

Yep, took it apart and dropped all the balls. Now it's time to remove the steering box and re-assemble it correctly. Go get a book and pray you can get it back together in time for Stockton.

Not sure what the end of the Ididit column looks like but the steering shaft in your box is 3/4" round.

5. Da-Rock

Do by chance know what year and type of steering box we could put in as a replacement or do you recommend we pull this one off the frame, disconnect etc...............and open it up for repair?

I know we can cut the exsisting steering column and put in a U-Joint, but if we are going to do that much work to fix the current steering box wouldn't it be more efficient to just replace it with a more modern, (non spear like column and box)?

Thank you so much for all of this info.

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

why not tow it down there
    to save that much money a strap and a latenight drive would be somthing i would do.

7. Da-Rock

I just made a reservation with U-Haul to get there tow setup...(all 4 wheels up) for $98.

That will give us more time to either fix or replace the steering box/column.

What do you guys think............new steering box or modify the column?

:D

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

rack and pinion... nuff said.

9. Da-Rock

Huurooom? Rack and Pinion? Does my 52 have that? I am guessing though that it is still a pain no matter which way.

Unfortunately I have to take the current steering box off to fix it anyways. That's why I was wondering if it would be better to just replace it.

10. 4X4HIGH

It's not as easy as just installing a different box. A different box will mean a complete new steering system for that truck which will cost WAY more than repairing your existing box then cutting the shaft and adding a U-jointed intermediate shaft with a tilt column. There is nothing wrong with the design of your steering box/column other than the fact that it is a complete unit as one. Once you cut the shaft and modify the shaft you're good to go.

11. Da-Rock

Ok, sounds like a plan. I am going to try and breakdown the steering box and put everything where it needs to go.

Then I will have someone do the cutting and placement of the U-Joint.

I am not sure I want my nephew to mess with it anymore so that means a ton of cash thrown out the door for labor cost..............:doah:

Awesome info everyone..............thanks