599 block

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by imiceman44, Aug 10, 2005.

1. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    So a friend of mine calls me a few months ago saying he has a nice block that has been cleaned up and ready to rebuild with all the matching parts, polished crank and cam, and a rebuilt IP.
    Missing heads and injectors.
    I figured I have a couple of engines siting here I can rebuild a pair of heads or pick a nice clean set and I can assemble an engine.
    He says $300 for the whole thing so I say OK.
    I recieve the engine block and crank with some surface rust and I freak out, then I think OH well I willpolish it again, there is no deep rust, turns out it has been sitting in his garage collecting dust (and moisture) for a year.
    Well I thew it in my garage until I have time to work on it.
    Today I wanted to move it out of the way to work onmy jeep and I think, let's see what kind of block that is, and to my surprise looking at the casting number, it ends with 599.
    I am pretty sure that is a late model block and if my memory serves me, it can be bored to 6.5l, correct?
    Now the block has been magnafluxed, honed and new plugs and block heater.

Should I:

- rebuild it the way it is after cleaning up the rust and put my BANKS turbo on it.

or

- wait and do a 6.5l and still turbo it with either a stock GM or the BANKS.

I am in no hurry, I have too many projects now so give me your thoughts.

and do you guys think I got a good deal?

2. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

all foreign language to me (well almost) but i need to learn as i wanna turbo 6.2 propane injected in a crew dual sometime :waytogo: gotta love the 6.2 :D

3. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

who is mhi? and whats a 4911? :D ;)

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    4911 is the stanadyne IP from a 6.5l TD I believe.
    MHI, no idea.

Now if the cylinder walls are not cleanable, should i bore or just hone them as long as it's within tolerance?
    Also I have an ATS turbo, no idea which one it's sitting on a dead 6.2 in my sub, would that be better than my Banks?