6.2L diesel - injector fuel return lines missing piece

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Overlander, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Overlander

Overlander Registered Member

There is a hose missing on the last injector on the driver side closest to the firewall - does anyone know if a hose goes on there or some kind of cap and if a hose is supposed to go there then where does it connect to?

I have looked all over for a diagram or something and can't find anything.

2. Overlander

So I found a thread on another site about this and I guess there is supposed to be a plug on there... anyone know of something that could be used temporarily?

3. KirsL

KirsL Diesel maniac Premium Member

Build(s):
    You should have 3 hoses going between the 4 injectors. A 4th hose ties into the main return line. Injectors at the back of the engine (#7 & #8) have a small cap that covers the unused return port. If that cap is missing a suprising amount of fuel will spray all of the engine compartment.

Makes a big mess.

4. KirsL

Build(s):
    Really anything can be used to block it off. The fuel will simply go out the other return port.

Overlander likes this.
  5. Overlander

Yeah I had a puddle and then realized it was coming from that injector. What can I use to plug it that will stay on there though? I am in a bit of a time crunch so any ideas for something improvised would be great since the parts stores will be closing soon here. I don't have any random little hoses or tiny clamps handy.

6. KirsL

Build(s):
    If one of the other hoses is long enough. You could trim say about 1.5 inch piece off. Thread a small screw or bolt into it and push the other end on to the return port.

campfire and Overlander like this.
  7. Overlander

I will try that thanks! :D

KirsL likes this.
  8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I did exactly that when the little plastic cap went missing on my 6.2's drivers side rear most injector..
    I used TYGON 2 cycle weed whacker 1/8" fuel hose with a short 8-32" machine screw screwed into the hose to make a new block off cap..I also replaced a few of those return hoses with the same TYGON hose after they got cracked and brittle from old age and began peeing on the exhaust manifolds..was lucky it didn't burn the truck up..another piss poor design IMO..

9. Overlander

I ended up just going to the parts store and got a little piece of fuel line and a little bolt. I put a little thread sealant on the bolt.

KirsL and campfire like this.
  10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Keep an eye on the hose if its the typical black stuff for non fuel injected engines,some of it doesn't stand up to diesel and will swell up or come off the barb fittings..

I used TYGON because it is able to withstand both gas & diesel fuel ,high temps,and it requires no clamps --it just pushes on (you may need to warm it up a little with a lighter flame),then it'll stay put with no clamps.
    I've had it on my truck for over 3 years now..
    I've also used Firestone air brake tubing with a 1/8" I.D. but it is stiff ,doesn't bend easily,and needs to be heated up to slip over a barb fitting..

It sucks trying to put those tiny squeeze clamps GM used on those return hoses,especially on the rearmost injectors ..that is the main reason I like TYGON hose,and it can be had at Lowe's or Home Depot,and most mower repair shops cheap...I keep a 5 foot length in my glove compartment "just in case",guy at the mower shop charged me $5 for it..

Overlander likes this.
  11. Overlander

Thanks! He said it was rated for diesel so hopefully it works! :D

campfire likes this.
  12. campfire

campfire Adventure is out there! Premium Member

Build(s):
    Been there, done that. I also had an injector with a nipple broken off. That one had the hole tapped and a bolt threaded in.

If you're on the road and can't find a cap, you can also tie the two dead ends together with a longer piece of hose.

Overlander and KirsL like this.