84' Jimmy

Discussion in 'Interior - Stock & Custom' started by B.barket, Jul 15, 2019.

1. B.barket

B.barket Registered Member Premium Member

Since I've been pestering everyone with questions lately I figured I should post a little bit about what I've been up to. My truck is a fair weather toy that just sits in the garage all winter. It all started last fall when I took it off the road for the winter and got the bright idea to install step bars and of course broke two body mount bolts. Its a good running stock 84' 6.2 Diesel Jimmy that really didn't need to be messed around with at all. But everyone on this forum knows how this story goes. Breaking the bolts led to peeling back my flooring to cut out the bolts from up to top. Then for whatever reason I got over zealous and just ripped out my entire interior. From there I had a friend who is a fairly accomplished car builder cut out the entire front floor on both sides including rocker panels and replace with new. My floors really weren't bad but I had the interior out and just decided to suck it up and start fresh with clean metal to ensure there are no problems. I don't want to remove the interior again I don't have to!. Got that done but winter is long and the dang internet got the better of me. Soooo, one thing leads to another and the next thing I know I'm upgrading my seats to buckets and a console out of an 06' Silverado. I needed new seat belts anyway and the new seats solve that with the belts built in and this way I also get better seats with more adjustability and a better console which is also a jump seat and a right arm rest. After that I'm looking around on line and the internet bites me in the ass again!. Since I'm replacing the seats, why not new carpet and lower door carpet from stockinteriors.com - a highliner headliner and new dash cover from LMC along with a new stereo. Done right?.. Nope!, I gotta quit touching things, because every time I mess around with something I find a reason to replace it. I was picking at my weather stripping and ended up ripping off all of the old door weather stripping - then removed all of the window weather stripping and door glass run channels and replaced it all with new from LMC. That means the door panels come off so its another LMC order for new window and lock switches - new arm rest pads - and new upper door trim. My interior used to be saddle tan so I did manage to upgrade one thing without spending any money. I just spent my time. I took off all of the interior plastics and painstakingly painted them all black. So now my interior is black and gray vs saddle tan. Playing with all of the interior stuff is at least nice because your hands stay clean. So I had to find some reason to dirty them up, and boy did I find a way. Wasn't by choice though. One of my oil cooler lines failed due to rubbing on a metal edge and sprung a horrible leak that had to be addressed. Fussed with that all last week and got those replaced so no more oil leaking. The only thing I really have left to do is to is put the passenger door back together. The drivers door and the rest of the interior is pretty well done. The passenger side door glass channel run is on back order so I can't put that side back together until it comes. I'll post some better pics asap. These ones below aren't very exciting. Just shots of the floor after seam sealing and then after hours of sanding - cleaning - priming and painting. One of the front carpet and center console during mock up and then a shot of the drivers door. I still have to put the door pocket back on it though. One thing I forgot to mention above that I think I'm happiest about was finally installing my stock spare tire mount!!. I was looking for one of those for the longest time. I finally got hold of one, painted it up and had a tire mounted on a stock rim. There was just something so satisfying about installing it haha!. Again. I'll post up some better pics asap.

file1-6.jpeg

file4-3.jpeg

file3-6.jpeg

file5-1.jpeg

brut4s, muddybuddy and MEMO43 like this.
  2. shond100

shond100 Registered Member Premium Member

Looks great!
    How easy was it to install the seats? I was planning on doing a bench in front but I like the counsel/jump seat idea better.

3. B.barket

^^ it was super easy. The floor is flat enough that there's lots of play for positioning the seats and console where you want them before drilling your holes. The inside feet of this generation of Silverado seat sits right on top of the feet on the console so it's just 4 holes per side. I staggered 3 layers of large different diamameter washers under neath for strength at the floor so they won't rip out in the event of an accident. Largest washer right against the floor and then smaller and smaller. The centre console/jump seat is great too because now on trips where it's cooler out I don't have to close the soft top. I just flip up the console and my kid jumps into the jump seat between my wife and I and he's out of the cool air and wind. Was a PAI before when I had to close up the top if it was to cold and windy in the back.

4. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Can you post more pics? Looks great

shond100 likes this.
  5. brut4s

brut4s 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Looks good! How was the dash pad to install and which one is it?

6. B.barket

hey folks.. apologies for not posting a few more pics sooner. Here's a few more shots of the seats etc, installed. I still need to put on the new door sill plates I have but for the most part its done. I say that loosely because with trucks like these you're never really "done". Since I have changed the interior to black and gray I also still need to hunt down a gray rear seat. The newer truck seats really are fantastic. The stockers are plenty comfortable but the new ones are simply better. More adjustability - lumbar support silky smooth operating seat belts etc.. And the center console/jump seat is such a welcomed addition. Its the "little things" as they say and I had grown accustomed to not having an arm rest on the right side. Long drives are now much more comfortable with a center arm rest. One quick comment about the new door and window seals I installed. I never realized what a difference they would make to wind noise. Even when running a soft top. With the new rubber all around the doors and having new tight window seals it is dramatically quieter in the cab. If you're serious about quieting down your truck, don't just focus on the floor. I am an average at best weekend wrench turner and installing the seats and console from an 06' Silverado was not difficult. Just take your time and be precise with where you mount them so they are square and proper in the cab. And make sure you mount them far enough forward for rear passengers to enter and exit. There is plenty of room in the cab to mount the seats forward enough to allow for generous rear entry space.

file-21.jpeg

file8.jpeg

file6.jpeg

file3-7.jpeg

file5-2.jpeg

file4-4.jpeg

file9.jpeg

file10.jpeg

Talon762 likes this.
  7. B.barket

hey brut4s.. That is the dash "cover" from LMC. I did not remove the pad. The cover simply slides right in over top of the old pad and glues on. When I ordered it I was apprehensive about the fitment but its a 99% dead on match and fits really nice. No trimming etc. I simply followed the instructions for gluing it in place and was good to go. The speaker and vent holes are in the right place and it fits really nice overall. If I was doing a frame off garage queen restoration I would order a new pad. But I'm trying to resist the temptation to "over restore" or over upgrade it to where I'll end up looking for reason's not to drive it rather than using it for what I bought it for. Which was to have a clean reliable stock truck that I can drive regularly and park anywhere without fear of every nick and scratch or bit of dirt getting into or on it.

brut4s likes this.
  8. shond100

shond100 Registered Member Premium Member

Oh yah that looks great!

9. brut4s

brut4s 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Cool! Good to know. I'm not sure what way to go on mine