Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

91 dash help

Discussion in 'Interior - Stock & Custom' started by wildweaselmi, Oct 8, 2016.

1. wildweaselmi

wildweaselmi Registered Member Premium Member

Been searching high and low for dash supplies for my 91 K5. Its apparently the odd year that LMC doesn't really support since they don't carry a dash bezel for 91 or gauges.

From what I read its all electronic or something.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to find replacement 91 K5 dash bezel, gauges?

I looked at dakota gauges but they don't come with the bezel so I still have that issue. I thought about just grabbing a bezel from LMC and seeing if I need to cut to fit or something. I really like the billet aluminum but they don't offer it for the 91.. wtf

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Build(s):
    Overall the dash is basically the same with the exception of an electronic speedo and the bezel having a larger stereo opening. Most of the cosmetics are interchangeable.

3. wildweaselmi

Thanks. I'll get as new as I can from LMC and see how it lines up. with the bigger tires I only see the option of going to aftermarket like Dakota Digital Gauges. I see a few other aftermarket choices but I suppose I'm leaning towards them. I know they were a big pain in the ass putting in on my 72 Cutlass. Hopefully its easier with the 91 K5

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    Pretty low production numbers for 89-91. What parts are you looking for specifically?

5. wildweaselmi

Yea no doubt.. last years of the great steel boxed giants. I am focusing on interior next. Mechanically solid as the rocks it hits but interior is in dire need of a.. make over. Mainly dash and all the HVAC system is held together with tape and vice grips. So would like to gather the parts needs to fix it the right way.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    The bezel differences aren't too big. Mostly the double DIN radio opening we all could have been happy without and some minor differences where the light switch pull is. I think if you grab an 88 bezel you could make it work. Gauges, if factory is what you lust after the only oddball part for '91 is the electronic speedo. If that works you can replace every other gauge using LMC stuff. If you just want great gauges there have been any number of guys that have hung all Autometer gauges off the stock bezel for a cool mix of stock and custom.

7. MAXMAN

MAXMAN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a few electronic clusters as well as bezels. Most all out of Suburbans. Let me know if you are interested in anything and I van pm you pics!

8. rpcraft

rpcraft 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    If you were to grab the pre 90 through 85 bezel I think you will be in the safe zone and there are adapters (you can buy or make easy enough out of some light gauge steel) were you can place a single Din head unit on the metal part of the dash easily and then trim to fit the plastic of the Bezel (for the older round knobbed radios) to fit around the single DIN head units without it being married to the Bezel. If you start looking at double DIN stuff you might have problems fitting it behind the dash, because (and do not quote me on this because I don't have an original radio or anything to measure them with) but I think those larger head units may actually have been a 1.5 DIN unit. Again, I may be mistaken on that last part. I am fairly sure someone will pipe up here shortly to correct me if I am off there. As long as your dash is not currently chewed up you will be able to massage a few things and get a double DIN unit in there if you really wanted one but keep in mind if it doesn't include a tiltable face you may run into issues viewing the face.

9. MAXMAN

MAXMAN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You can buy a bolt in adapter to mount a standard din radio in the larger opening. Looks fine and works well!

10. wildweaselmi

Thanks everyone. Got a new used bezel coming I found on eBay for 88-91 (so it says).

I'm not sure what to do in gauges. I like the Digital Dakota HDX but I also like the Detroit New Vintage Gauges. Lifetime Warranty vs 5 year but the NVu gauges look so clean (it's what I saw in LMC). Not sure yet

Then radio picking. Thinking something that can pop out. I would like navigation, Bluetooth, etc