CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

Abnormal 700r4 problem!

RockBurb

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Ok heres the deal. When my transmission is coasting in 3 or 4th it makes a horrible grinding noise momentarily, and then will do the same for a moment once you depress the gas again. The transmission has less then 7000 on a full rebuild, and was working perfectly before I pulled it from my Suburban to put it in my K5 /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. I did happen to break a rear ujoint wich caused the back of the 700r4 where it bolts to the Transfer case to break, but I had it welded by a professional, and it looks as good as new. I have unhooked the tcc wiring so this is not the problem, and I have played with the tv some. Please help!

big83chevy4x4

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
I did happen to break a rear ujoint wich caused the back of the 700r4 where it bolts to the Transfer case to break

[/ QUOTE ]

i did the same thing

do you know if the rebuilder replaced the sun shell? that could be what the problem is. i had that happen once, the tranny had 6000 miles on a rebuild when it did it.

rjfguitar

3/4 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Mine makes the same type of noise also in hi gear. It only does it when I am partly on the throttle where it isn't coasting but isn't sending power to the rearend either. Sounds like it is coming from the bellhousing and I know it isn't the tranny because it started acting up before it was rebuilt. I am wondering if I didn't get the flexplate bolts that hold it to the crank torqued down properly and are backing out causing the flexplate to vibrate when it doesn't have a load on it. But just an idea. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

RockBurb

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I dont know for sure if the sun shell was replaced or not. I do know that the torque convertor is on tight as I just had the tranny off of the truck. Furthermore I pulled the governor and it looks ok as well /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. This has me stumped!

rlhenry

Registered Member
Reaction score
I've got the same problem with my 700. I'm not sure what is causing it, but it's been doing it for a while. Mine is also slipping out of gear when I get on the gas going up hill. Instead of downshifting, it slips causing the engine to race. If I let off the gas, the rpm's drop and the tranny kicks back into gear. I figured the problems were inter-related, but maybe not.

RockBurb

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I talked to the trans guy, and he doesnt think its anything internal, but rather the torque convertor. I have an appointment for tuesday to have it looked at and I will let you know what I find out.

86bigblazer

Reaction score
I have the exact problem, however it is not my tranny it is the transfer case, I took it to my tranny guy and that is what he said the noise was coming from.

Top Bottom