?? About Relocating Front Spring Shackles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nvrenuf, Feb 2, 2005.

1. nvrenuf

nvrenuf What update?? Premium Member

Build(s):
    Is it worth it to move the rear hanger for the front springs if you're NOT using longer springs? Will this improve the shackle angle for standard length front springs? I know 7.25" is the popular shackle length, does this add lift or is it equivalent to OE height?

I know 52's, etc are the hot ticket but I have some new (regular) 6" front springs that I intend to use. I'm just thinking that this might be an easy/cheap upgrade to do while I have a bare frame to work with.

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

right now i am running o.r.d frt shackles w/ 4" stock length springs & my shackle angle suxs bad, i think yours will be worse cause of the 6" springs i think a longer shackle w/ the top mounting piont moved foward would deffently help

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I believe I'm the first person to do this on a full bodied machine, I got the idea from baddog

http://community.webshots.com/user/tim84k10

Check it out.

I measured the total arc of the springs and figured out how long a shackle I'd need to keep them off the frame no matter how far they compressed and ran with that.

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I too did this mod in december. I got the idea form Tim's webshots. I know i posted pics and some info about it before. I can post them again or find the old post.
    I used 6" center to center shackles that i made out of 2" x .250" flat stock. Pretty easy mod overall. I know my truck rides better but i also put in new greasable bushings all the way around and a 2.5" shackle flip from ORD all at the same time. Also rebuilt my rusty spring packs.

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

It's a fuzzy pic but it shows my crappy shackle angle with 6" front springs and an extended shackle. I plan to move mine like Tim did unless I sell the truck first.

[​IMG]

6. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

How did you do at the RTC on the RTI ramp? Any pictures?

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I outflexed every fullsize there except one with a 1/4 eliptical rear. My rear flex is still limited by stock shock mounts, I'm going to do something about that before Tellico.

8. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Wasn't the first competition RTI ramp and engineering? Looks like only 3 fullsized behind you and 6 or 7 ahead of you:dunno: Are the RTI scores anywhere in the article?