Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

After market wheels

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JC50, Apr 19, 2002.

1. JC50

JC50 Registered Member

I have original cast aluminum wheels 15X8 on my 87' K5 Blazer. They have the 8 slots similar to American racing Baja's or eagle 589's. I've polished with Mother's but they still look there age. I put on new BFG 33x12.50's and want the tires to look there best. Any opinions on how the Baja's look compared to original wheels. Sears has them on sale thru 4/24 for $289 set of 4, (polished aluminum). I've seen some cheap knock off's of this design and I might as well stay with my original wheels if they don't look any better. Any one have these, (Baja's-American racing), and how do you like them?
    Thanks for any replies.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

That is the set of rims I always wanted for my truck. AR 589's. Now that I am making my truck hardcore, I can't really use them. I will put them on my future tow rig though. Not sure what that is yet, but thats the rims it will have. (most likely a Sub or another K5). Something that isn't going to see to much abuse on trails. I think the only other rim I would consider would be the Mickey Thompson's that are basically the same as the AR's.

3. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

4. JC50

JC50 Registered Member

The 589's are American Eagle's. The Baja's are American racing. M/T classic II's are same design also. Would like to know if anyone has the Baja's and how they stack up to the other brands of same style wheel. In a nutshell, my question is, the Baja's are on sale at a good price. I have original equipment cast aluminum wheels and want to upgrade. All the above mentioned wheels are the same design. Do the Baja's compare with the 589's and M/t Classic II? I want to take advantage of the sale price if these are decent wheels. Thanks for info.

5. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

That is a good price for those wheels, but wouldn't you rather go to a 10''? The wheels look so similar to your factory ones that IMO they aren't worth changing unless you are going wider. Everyone and their cousin has eagle 589's in a 15x8 or 15x10 why not go with something different? I have Mickey Thompson classicII's 15x10 and IMO they look a lot better than the baja's 589's etc, because the holes are a lot bigger and they are the only one of these wannabe alcoas that are polished inside of the holes. Getting these wheels wouldn't be much of an upgrade though, they would be pretty much the same thing just a little shinier. Just my $.02

6. JC50

JC50 Registered Member

Blazinaire, Thanks for your opinion. That's exactly the info I was wanting. I have thought about going to 10" width but don't think I can get away with it without a lift. I have stock suspension and the 33x12.50's clear fine but I would probably not clear with 10" in a tight turn. I do like the M/T classic II look though. I'll probably stay with my original wheels for now. Thanks again. Your perspective has been very helpful.

7. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

I agree on the MT Classic II's! I've got them as well & they're IMHO the better of the three. They have the highest load rating, are polished not coated so no fading/peeling/yellowing coating & they have steel lug inserts so that the lugs hold their torque better than typical aluminum wheels. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
  9. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

Hey, I thought the factory aluminum wheels are 15x7?? I know the steel ralley wheels are 15x8 though. Am I right about the factory alloys?

10. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

yes the factory alloys were 15x7