Anyone do away with factory int. controls and go all toggle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by COCHEV, Jan 5, 2003.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

have quite a bit of hackery under the dash and was thinking all aftermarket gages and toggle switches to control everything- lights, heater, wipers, washers, etc. maybe make a little pannel above the heater control box and mount them all in a row.........whacha think?

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

On mine the heater/ac/defrost is vacuum activated so you could not use toggle switches to control that function. The hot/cold lever is a cable that opens and closes a door to the heater coil. The only think you could use a toggle for would be the blower motor.

I already tried to do what your thinking and couldnt.

3. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

i was also thinking a three way toggle for lights- off/low/high. wippers- off/low/high and a bush button for washer fluid. also wanted a switch for a rear backup light. my heater is vac opperated too so i'd just leave that alone.

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I dont think you would have a problem at all. Just be sure to get out the old Haynes and follow the wiring diagram. I used the old "pull" switch for the lights when I took my dash out. It still worked fine and was actually very easy to install, it took a 1/2" hole and I can still dim the dash lights if I want too /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif. Mine has delay wipers that have a big ol freaky looking connection under the column...I decided not to mess with that cause there are like 6 wires going into each side...it is intimidating, heat fins and everything!

5. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

yeah, i'm not sure what to do about a wiper delay. maybe one of those cheepo jc whitney ones.

6. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

that sounds like it will look really cool!!!! post some pics when you do. i want to do the same thing but im really lazy.

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

The factory controls work sooo nice....at least if they're new. I have a complete new dash, but I utilized most of the factory contols. They are just so much easier to deal with. Here is mine. I did add a new key switch with a push button starter...still not as easy as stock....... Dash

[​IMG]

8. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

is that a chevy wiper delay switch? what is involved with adding one like yours? is it just a new switch or is there another component to it. i see the switches in LMC all the time and would like to swap one in. i know it was posted here some time ago.

by the way- very nice! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif what do your toggles control?

9. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I got an '81 style motor, switch and delay module out of a salvage yard and wired it all up using mostly stock wires. I had to add one new wire I think. It is one of the best mods I've done. If you have the '81-'82 style motor already just add the switch and module(little black box w/ a heatsink).