Anyone know about Tabco body panels?

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by mofugly13, May 8, 2019.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I am going to put an order in to Tabco for some floor panels for the front of my K5. They offer two products, with flanges and without flanges. Does anyone know what the real difference is between the two?

https://tabcoparts.com/amfinder/

I don’t know if that link takes you to the ‘74 blazer/pickup/suburban page, but the difference seems to be that without flanges has extra sheet metal attached as if it came out of the die and was not trimmed, while WITH flanges looks trimmed. Can anyone confirm what I should be ordering? I feel like they may have the photos for the two products flipped.

I’m looking at 50039R vs. 50071R

382973B6-4FFE-4528-AE48-2D9D8E406C82.png

2. Cntymnty77

Cntymnty77 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    I’ve never seen the tab option before. I’ve ordered rockers and the rear quarter and they are much better quality than anything else from LMC, Classic, etc. they are heavier gage as well.

I’m wondering if it’s a weld tab? Basically it sets back behind the current metal and allows you to plug weld, instead of a seam weld. Although, you would still need to weld the seam but you wouldn’t have as much blow out.

I will be sticking with Tabco parts for the rest of the restore.

This is the tabco quarter piece that I just fit last night.

5572E5C3-4D4E-4898-AD5B-F5D1FB259A53.jpeg

*Edit*
    - the 50039’s are slip in panels that go over the existing rusted out floors. The 50071’s are direct, cut out and replace panels.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

We used to sell Tabco panels at one store I worked at,they were better quality than the typical tiwan/china crap that took over the market..
    This was back in the mid to late 80's,I didn't think Tabco was still in business ,or had sold out and sell the same "tin" as all the other suppliers..
    Mill Supply in Ohio was another place that had good thick repair panels back then..

The "flanged" option is probably pre stamped in a manner so you can use a flange tool on the surrounding sheet metal so a flush weld can be made and reduce the amount of grinding needed and body filler to finish the job..
    This is a manual flanger tool,they also have air powered ones .. flanger tool.jpg

4. mofugly13

Hmm. I sent an email but have not received a response yet. I will be cutting out my floor panels, so I got to know....

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

"Schott" brand body panels was another good brand we had access to back in the day..we stocked some of their stuff,it was in the attic of the parts store,leftovers from the previous owner--there was a few complete rear quarter skins for a 69-72 K5 in the batch,I was always tempted to take them home,my 72 K5 I had at the time,it didn't need rust repair there though so I didn't..it needed it everywhere else though..!

All the panels up in that attic eventually got rained on after the roof leaked and they were all surface rusted when I went back to see if they were still there years after I quit working there...still useable,but would need sandblasting..
    A dam shame,there was some vintage panels for all kinds of cars there from the mid 1950's to late 70's..stuff you'll never see again..

My old boss finally retired last year and closed the store,he's 72 now..hasn't sold the store yet,but I heard much of the contents has been,mostly all the antique stiff stashed in the basement and attic..
    I posted here how his brother got killed in a car crash recently,I used to work with him..

6. mofugly13

I never heard back from Tabco, so I think I’m going to go ahead and order without flanges, and guess that they have their pictures/part numbers mixed up. If I get the extra sheet metal I’ll just cut it off. I’m going to be cutting out the existing floor pans anyway.

Cntymnty77 likes this.
  7. Cntymnty77

Cntymnty77 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    I’m not sure about their customer service but I’ve not been disappointed by their product. I just ordered a few more pieces about 15 min ago from them.