Automatic Shift Knobs?

Groz's Burb

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Been thinking on replacing the little OEM shift knob on my '90 Suburban; preferably to something a little bigger that is easier to switch gears with.
Has anybody done this on their column shifter? I could use some ideas or suggestions.. I know sometimes simple stuff like this is a pain in the ass because of glue, threads, etc.
Pics are encouraged. Thanks everybody

Groz's Burb

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you’re handy with wood or like it as an option, but when I built my dads C10 we turned some hardwood on the lathe to make the shift knob, turn signal, and tilt knobs.

View attachment 376707
Very rad. I really like that steering wheel as well!
Do you recall if you had to add threads for the shift knob or did you just glue/epoxy it in place?
Thanks for the pic

Gentleman Jimmy

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Very rad. I really like that steering wheel as well!
Do you recall if you had to add threads for the shift knob or did you just glue/epoxy it in place?
Thanks for the pic
Thanks! I did tap some threads in the shift knob, but I also used a dab of epoxy when I installed it for some extra strength.

Gentleman Jimmy

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thank you. The steering wheel is Alder and the hardwood is Canary.

The column is aftermarket, but the tilt and turn signal were glued and the shifter was threaded. I used a heat gun to warm them up and they slid right off.

Groz's Burb

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't have a picture, but on my suburban I use a beer tap. If you flirt with the girl at the bar, she will give you one sometimes!!!
Haha to each their own!
Personally I'm looking for something a little more practical than a beer tap; I'm often shifting through the mountains so I was thinking of something more of a billiard-ball size. I could be assuming the beer tap isn't practical though.
I've read that beer tap shifters are a good way to get pressed toward a DUI as well; just wouldn't be my go-to route although I'm sure your shifter looks awesome. I'd love to see a pic

Top Bottom