CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

BBC Flexplates

4X4HIGH

1 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
NO, 454 is all by itself when it comes to flexplate/ flywheel. 454's are externally balanced and the rest of the BBC's are internally balanced.

thor

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
No the 454 is externally balanced the 402 is internally balanced. A 350 on will work on the 402 though as both are internal.

DieselBurb

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
How do I tell the difference between an internally and an externally balanced flexplate? Will the internal be missing the extra weights on it?

Leadfoot

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'll tell you in the next day or two when my SFI flywheel comes in the mail (thanks to JEGS).

As of right now I have a 454 externally balanced. It had an externally balanced harmonic balancer, an internally balanced flywheel (for manual 4 speed tranny), and a counter balance weight (to make up for the zero balance flywheel). I am installing an automic so I needed a flexplate. I decided to go with a zero balance flexplate and use the counter balance weight as I will turn this into an internally balanced 489-496 someday down the road and didn't want to have to buy two different flywheels, plus I know the counterbalance won't change this way.

When it comes, I will snap a pic or two for you.

Leadfoot

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I forgot to snap pics, but it looks exactly like one used on a SBC 350. No additional weights or material removed.

Top Bottom