CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

best all round tire?

chevy_tuff

Registered Member
Reaction score
hey im building myself a trail/mud/daily driver rig and was wondering what all you guys think would be the best tires to throw on, i was thinkin of putting 38-40"s. i have a fair amount of cash so im not too worried about that. my 4x4 is a 1980 chev 3/4 ton with cutout bushwacker fender flares, im putting either a 6 or an 8 inch suspension on too, which lift do you guys figure is better for what im using it for, i dont want it to be too tippy? thanks for the help

unick

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Well if money isnt an issue Id go with Goodyear MTR's in 40. The only problem is you will need to get 17" rims and the tires cost $400 a piece. as for the lift to get one that big youll need to go with skyjacker or superlift. BDS is a great lift but Im not sure if they make an 8". I have and AK57 lift fomr AZKicken that Im about to install. You might want to look into that. Its a really flexy lift. An 8" lift is gonna pretty tippy. I personally wouldnt go over a 6" and you can still run 40's on a 6 if you dont mind cutting the fenders out a little.

Nick

unick

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Y dont you fill out your profile se we know where you are. Also consider becoming a member if your gonna be around a while. Theres lots of giveaways and discounts for paying members. You did say you had money so dont be stingy j/k /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Nick

RootBreaker

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
Y dont you fill out your profile se we know where you are. Also consider becoming a member if your gonna be around a while. Theres lots of giveaways and discounts for paying members. You did say you had money so dont be stingy j/k /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

lots of giveaways huh?
I havent seen any of it and I am a member.... I became a member to support the site as I needed a question asked and it was given to me with part numbers.... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

84gmcjimmy

1 ton status
Reaction score
If you see mud but it's your DD, use Super swamper SSR's. They should be good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Use a 6"-8" lift with some cutting to be less tippy then 10" to clear 40's...

fatboy

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I second the SSR's I have just bought some after having two sets of super swamper radials and Im really pleased with on road performance and sound and off road ability. they still through the roaster tails well/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

chevy_tuff

Registered Member
Reaction score
what about the groundhawgs? ive been hearing theyre pretty good all around tire and wear well, i want a tire that will last a while, any more suggestions would be great, do the super swampers wear allright? thanks for the help

BranndonC

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
the SSR's are the best all around swamper IMHO, and last long because there radial, the ground hawgs last for ever but in dont have any idea how they are offroad

rcpilot

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I vote for Wrangler MTR's Got a set in Feb and used them in the sand dunes and have used them in the desert sand/rocks here in SoCal. I am open on both ends (no lockers) and when I air'd down I was able to keep up with most.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

u2slow

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
best all round tire?

[/ QUOTE ]

Swampers are not... Michelins are very round though. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Top Bottom