Best Synthetic Transmission Fluid

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bohemian, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Bohemian

Bohemian 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm looking for some recomendations on the Best Synthetic Transmission Fluid you all have personally used in your own real world 4x4's... can't believe any positive or negative reviews online about anything anymore.

I've been using Amsoil Full Synthetic Engine Oil in my Harley's and car's and trucks forever and have no complaints.
    So that make's me lean that way...

But I've never experimented much on the ATF Side, other then running some B&M Trick Shift in some cars which seemed to give them a firmer shift.

I'm good about PM I'm just curious if Synthetic ATF is any good & if you all favor one more then most based on your personal experience.

I've heard good things about Burn Rubber Brewery's "Synthetic Cider" but don't trust the hype.

what say you?

thanks in advance.

2. 6872xtc

6872xtc make mine modified Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I have heard good things about Lucas, but I have never used their products.
    I use Schaeffer's because I have a local guy and have used their products on the concrete mixers at work. I have had all good results from Schaeffer's products. And I just ordered a case of 6 gallon jugs of their synthetic ATF and it was $165, so the price is good IMO.

That's not much help to you, but that's all I have.

3. anwat

anwat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Used Royal Purple for several years, but couldn't really notice a difference, so I've now switched back to Mobil One synthetics. My very unscientific opinion is that while there's an advantage to running synthetic over conventional, the high quality synthetics are all going to be too similar to really say one or the other is better, so it came down to price for me. I'll pay the extra for synthetic, but it's going to be the cheapest nationally recognized quality brand synthetics.
    If you've ever opened up a high mileage engine that has always used synthetic oil, you know it's a better product. I'm assuming transmissions are no different.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

B&M "Trick Shift" fluid according to many people who used it is nothing more than Type F Ford transmission fluid...they claim using Type F will make a GM automatic shift much firmer with no other mods..(The B&M fluid isn't or at least wasn't synthetic back in the day also--they may have synthetic now)..

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    I'm an Amsoil guy. Run their atf in the 4l80e, Magnum, and NP205.

6. 1977k5

1977k5 1 ton status Vendor

X2 on Amsoil

mrk5 likes this.
  7. ridenby

ridenby 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    I use this because it is like type F. My simple minded research lead me to believe the original atf for TH400 was closer to type F than the newer versions. Do not have a bottle handy to see if it is syn or not.

8. Wes Harden

Wes Harden 1/2 ton status Premium Member

tes 295 synthetic dex 3

9. doubletrouble

doubletrouble 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I’m running Amsoil tractor hydraulic fluid.

10. max 02

max 02 N.E.D. Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I’ve been hearing Liquid Moly is the bees knees.

Sorry no first hand experience with it.

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I've read and heard about many who use tractor/hydraulic fluid in GM three speed automatics with good results,a few guys I know who race on a local speedway claim that's all they used for years...and it also works for power steering pumps ,one guy said his Jeep's pump used to squeal and whine,after he filled it with that tractor /hydraulic fluid it went away and hasn't done it since..

The specs on some of the tractor/hydraulic fluid actually says it covers Dexron II ,which GM recommends for the older 2 and 3 speed automatics..the fluids rated for wet clutch and brake use,the main difference is there are two viscosities available and the thicker of the two may not pan out well in cold climates,the lighter one is preferable...some claim the thicker fluid can coax more life out of high mileage transmissions..most fluids are rated "off highway" use,despite there not being much difference Dexron II..

..the tractor/hydraulic fluid is usually almost clear and hard to see on the dipstick,some add 1 qt. of ATF just to "dye" it so it can be easier to read the level on the dipstick ..

Here's one of many threads I've read about using Tractor/Hydraulic fluid in automatics..was surprised to read some even use Mobil One motor oil in their automatics!..I figured that might be so slippery the clutches wouldn't "grab" but I'm wrong..
    Tractor fluid instead of ATF????? | Non-Turbo Tech questions

max 02 likes this.
  12. white90burb

white90burb 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    I have an 07 2500hd classic cclb 4x4. I changed my tranny pan to mag hytec pan and flushed the trans added amsoil atf before i moved from az to va couple years ago. I dont have a trans temp gauge so i dunno if it helped temp wise, however after loading the bed with all my tools and towing a trailer with my k5 my fluid still looked and smell brand new. The engine oil however definitely needed a change after that haul.
    Ive also changed everything except coolant and p/s to amsoil.

13. Fordum

Fordum 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm running Amsoil transmission and hydraulic fluid also.............
    Of course, I'm running it in the transmission and hydraulics of my tractor, so I don't guess that helps you folks much.....

14. YOUNGBLOOD13

YOUNGBLOOD13 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Most of the synthetics are good. Got to put in a plug for BG full synthetic. They make a lot of professional grade chemicals and lubricants. I always used to think it was all snake oil. But I have people calling my shop to buy some of the cleaners and additives. As for the trans fluid, I had done a service on a buddy's XJ and filled it with Bg synthetic. Jeep was always taken care of. Then he got married, and his wife turned it into a rolling dog adoption center. Apparently she blew a lower radiator hose, never saw any sign of overheating and drove with no coolant for a week. The 4.O was pure black inside. She only stopped driving when it seized. My son owns it now. Has the original trans, never been into it, 450,000 miles on it. That is some good damn fluid.

15. KirsL

KirsL Diesel maniac Premium Member

Build(s):
    I've used Amsoil for years in both my trucks. It's always been good to me.

That said maintaining proper fluid levels and a good working system is the most important.

16. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    BG is good stuff. I've used the EPR (engine performance restoration) on a couple old SBC's and it perked up the oil pressure on both.

YOUNGBLOOD13 likes this.
  17. K85 Octane

K85 Octane Tacklin' Fuel Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Amsoil for the 700r4, protect it as much as possible.
    Everything else can get Valvoline Maxlife blend.