Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big Block Options

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Paxx, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Ok so I've been thinking that I might just leave the 500 in the 81 2wd truck for a pre-runner project and go with a newer BB for the k5 project. I figure it would make more sense than paying out the ass for a custom aftermarket FI kit and deal with the hassle of running it with a standard.

I got to thinking about this when I found an add for a salvage auction that is open to the public. I could buy a newer vehicle that had a rear end collision that has a BB with FI already and just rob everything for my truck.

I want an engine with build up potential. I have a dream of a fuel injected 500hp/600lb-ft engine with a long flat torque curve that can still run off of pump gas. I am wondering what the best engine to start with would be. I know a vortec 454 could probably be turned into that but what other options do I have? What years would be the best to look for? How about weight? That was what originally attracted me to the 500. Aluminum heads would help with that.

I realize that this will not be a cheap build but I don't need some of those crazy $20000 crate engines. Just something that could be built into what I described.

Let me know what the cool guy motors are :D

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Just can't beat a crate motor...

My BB is close to this one, and I spent a comparable amount and waited for 6 months....

Marv

3. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

How readily do those engines respond to aftermarket FI on the market?

Would it be cheaper to start with a base engine with FI already or start with a built motor and add FI?

4. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Buy my motor. 468 BBC Bowtie alum heads, 540 horse. $3000.
    [​IMG]

5. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

damn I wish I was ready to buy right now. How come your selling it?

6. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It was in my car, 78 Malibu. Got tired of the car thing, so I sold it less motor. I was going to put in my 62 4wd Suburban, but I have to cut the firewall and move it forward, along with putting in a newer style crossmember. I really don't want to do all that, seeing how i can just literally drop in a small block and go. I don't need a motor like this, don't have a use for it anymore. Thought about putting it in my 89, but that is TBI, and i like having TBI. Just want to sell it so I can hopefully finish one of my projects.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    Go with a tall deck 427 and build a 540, 9:1 CR and enjoy...should be really easy to get into your target power range while running pump gas.

Rene

8. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Hey that sounds like fun. Is it a stroker engine? Got any info on it? :D

9. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    With the type of horsepower numbers you are talking about. It is going to take an expensive FI system to provide the fuel requirements it is going to have. A factory TBI will not do it. A carburetor would be the cheap way to run the kind of HP you are looking for.

I think 500 HP is a lot of HP for the street. I do not know if you have ever tried to drive a 500 HP Big Block on the street, but I have, and it is a bit of a tense experience. I only drove this vehicle on weekends, when the weather was clear and sunny. I remember taking a couple of dates out in this car (many years ago before I got married). When they saw the car sitting in my garage, they thought it was coolest thing they ever saw. But after riding in for a few hours, they said they did not like it because it was like riding in a freight train, and gave them a headache.

I am thinking of putting a TBI injected Big Block in my Crew Cab. I was going to buy a GM Goodwrench direct replacement Mark IV 454 crate engine. This engine has an estimated 245 HP/290 Torque. I am going to put in a mild/computer compatible/RV camshaft, aluminum intake manifold, shorty headers, and a Holley Pro-jection 650 CFM TBI onto it. This should raise the engine specs to roughly 275 HP/330 Torque. The Holley 650 CFM Pro-jection TBI should be able to handle these engine specs, with a little custom chip tuning. A big block 454 with 330 Foot Pounds of Torque will move a vehicle down the road much faster than most people are accustom to.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  10. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

This engine will be for my 4x4. It is a project to create a vehicle that excels in all types of off-roading. I need it to have fuel injection for rock-crawling, and huge hp/tq #'s for mud and high speed. I am willing to pay for a fuel injection system that will provide that for me. My current 355 puts out approx. 300hp and 400lb/ft and I know I will need more once i get the 42's on. A stroker would be great for the kind of torque I am looking for. Just a big # stroker :D

11. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

I say get another caddy and put FI onto it.

:D :D

12. 1-ton

Build(s):
    Something like this Holley Commander 1000 CFM MPFI should do the trick. Along with a really hot roller cam, and 10.5:1 flat tops.

[​IMG]

13. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

ha ha yeah but it is just so much between putting it behind a standard and getting the FI. The only kit i saw anywhere was over $4000. Believe me i would love to have a fuel injected 500 in front of a nv4500. that would be sweet. :D

14. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

What is the cost of one of those set-ups?

15. 1-ton

Build(s):
    With shipping and everything...about $3200.

16. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Here is my 454:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1973 454 bord 30 over
    336781 heads w/oversized valves (completely rebuilt)
    CompCam - mild custom grind for my buildup
    Keth Black pistons
    about 9.3 compression
    Edelbrock Pro-Flo MPFI (rumor has it the Holly Commander 950 has better or eaisier tuning computer that hooks to a laptop instead of Edel's handheld unit...once it's tuned no real need to change it so user preferance..)
    This engine was totaly balanced..even the clutch/pressureplate assy...
    The block heads and intake were also ground to line up perfectly and to make sure the surfaces were perfectly flat.
    I built this thing for idel to 5000rpm..all lowend torque and continious duty type work.
    I am very happy with the way it came out.
    It has been suggested that the reason for the numbers to fall after 4100RPM is the Thorley Tri-Y headers. The Tri-Y design is only usefull at lower RPMs..heck I have most of my torque before 2000rpm so what do I care habout anything over 4K...I will be shifting by then anyway hahahaa
    The 454 is a great torque engine...Stump Pullin RAT!!!
    YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
    :D

PS ~ A good sequential fire EFI setup is AWSOME! I don't care what brand or flavor it is...Throttel responce is like no other!
    RAAAAAT!:bow: :bow:

17. 1-ton

Build(s):
    Dude! That is so sweet. You definitly have a keen eye for detail. You would be surprised at how many people out there don't.

[​IMG]

18. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

That is a great looking engine. I have thought seriously about putting a BB in my '90 K5. It still has the original 350. I'm wondering if the extra expense is worth it though. I figure I could build a stout 383 for less than a BB and have plenty of power. I need "grunt" to pull my camper with.

19. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Thanks guys...took a long time to complete....

My opinon is a mild build up on a BBC is way more reliable that a radical build up SBC.. A high power SBC can easily cost more than a mild build up on a 454. The cost cutter would be to get a complete running when pulled 454 cheep and go from there...
    I knew I wanted the power & High Lowend torque but I didn't want to sacrafice reliability. It is tuff to get real torque power out of a SBC without a massive build up...sure it is possable..just not the road I choose.
    How do they say it? There is no replacement for displacement...or something like that...basically Bigger IS Better :D

20. Teamstatic2001

Teamstatic2001 Registered Member

I like the road you chose, I bought a mark IV less a crank and intake, no big deal sense a crank new is a few hundred and I bought a edelbrock mpfi kit that convert a stock tbi setup to muiltport for more power response and millage. I'm lookin for around 10 to 10.5 to 1. Forged pistens, some titainum rods off ebay and a forged crank. Also lookin into a cpc ingntion from msd with 4 or 8 coils and a flying magnet crank trigger.