CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Blazer Bash 2021 trail communications

Wes Harden

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
I don't understand why Official Police or fire transmissions would be on a gmrs channel generally considered to be an off road channel. 151.625. Is this Moab search and rescue for off road ?

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I don't understand why Official Police or fire transmissions would be on a gmrs channel generally considered to be an off road channel. 151.625. Is this Moab search and rescue for off road ?
151.625 is a business band frequency in the US. But it also happens to be one of the main frequencies used in Mexico for Baja racing. This is where the "weatherman" name came from. Rugged and other racing radio retailers include the frequency under a dubious license loophole stating they bought a license for it and allow the purchaser of the radio to use it under their license.

Technically use of that frequency in Mexico won't have any bearing on the use of the channel in the states. But like miniwally pointed out it looks like it is in use in Moab and it would be wise for us to stay off of it and not upset the ones that are probably holding the local license to the frequency.

There are plenty to choose from for sure. We should be able to find clear one to work from for each group.

Wes Harden

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
I am unclear about local license of a gmrs frequencies. Is this something the Fcc does?
I do know you must have a license to use the gmrs frequencies. That Rugged and like are not being above board and confusing with the information.
I did do the Fcc license for myself and family. Little more than a form and fee.

r3dd0g

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
If you want to get technical, it's completely legal for you to listen to any of these frequencies, it's only illegal to transmit on them unless you hold the license for that frequency or work for the company that does.

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I am unclear about local license of a gmrs frequencies. Is this something the Fcc does?
I do know you must have a license to use the gmrs frequencies. That Rugged and like are not being above board and confusing with the information.
I did do the Fcc license for myself and family. Little more than a form and fee.
So that's the thing, weatherman is not a GMRS frequency. It's in the business band of frequencies. So your license is good for the GMRS frequencies.

What rugged has done is a topic of discussion we can keep out of this thread but yes, they have confused the situation greatly with how they promote and sell their products.

Top Bottom