CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

Blazer Bash 2022 It's TOO late for Last Minute Thrash

Babaganoosh

1 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Your plans should be:
- Fix what's broke
- Get some seat time
- Fix what breaks
- Go to Blazer Bash with a truck that's sorted out.

End of story, you never get to wheel because you always do major changes that you don't have time to test before you leave.
I got lucky the past few times I went with the truck, only broke a rear shock and still wheeled it. The truck was built for camping and long distance not crawling, but it actually does it better then I would like to.

You are right, but for some reason I like working on the truck in the summer months... My upgrades for 2022 will be more comfort, and I desperetly need some type of rear suspension, I have been saying it for a long time but the rear leaf springs are sagging and bent with the shocks seeping.

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
We have a rule, no major changes less than 3 months before Blazer Bash.
Smart. I had a lot of road miles on mine and a couple of snow runs after the major swap we did. I didn't have an ounce of hesitation to drive it out, wheel the piss out of it and drive home. Outside of my tires and the fender/door not getting out of each other's way it was a trouble free trip.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. DD your junk for a while. You'll find the kinks pretty quickly. Even if you plan on trailering it. Constant use finds problems. Still take a wheeling trip and feel out the 4wd side of things, flex it and see what holds up and what don't.

I get the last minute crunch. But there's a whole year to prove things out. Get it going NOW. Then you got lots of time to wheel it, DD it and put some miles on it. The more trouble free miles you rack up the better your confidence should be.

One thing we do in our group before the desert trip is a quick run 2-3 weeks before the big run. Could be an overnight or day run. But it's always close to home. If we find an issue we have time to fix it. Our trips are usually drama free mechanically because of it.

70jimmy

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
I agree with all that has been said and I have been the one with the T-case on the ground 2 days before I leave, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Now I do way less work on the truck as September comes around. This is precisely why I daily drove my truck for more than a week to make anything that needed attention rear its ugly head. It is a learning process.

Babaganoosh

1 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Funny thing is all the new mods I did worked fine. I have had bad luck with transfer cases in this truck for some reason, it must be because the vin shows 2wd.

Bent77

curmudgeon Status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Yes, they sell 205s. You have to try to break those. Or forget a snap ring

Babaganoosh

1 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Where does a big lopey cam and a 102mm throttle body come in on drivability and camping? You spent a ton of money to make your truck do both of those things worse.
You got me on that one, it actually drives really well considering. I need to tune the trans a bit more but I think it will be just as good as before with the stock stuff.

az_762_nato

Dysfunctional Veteran
Premium Member
Reaction score
I finally got my other full vert out here from AZ finally that Shawn @supersize75k5 was storing for me and started the build I've been planning for the last 10 years :haha:

I was hoping to make it out this year but decided part way through the build to flip the engine I had and go LS, then I decided to lower it down a few inches and give it some Detroit's, then.... You know how it goes!

Babaganoosh

1 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I finally got my other full vert out here from AZ finally that Shawn @supersize75k5 was storing for me and started the build I've been planning for the last 10 years :haha:

I was hoping to make it out this year but decided part way through the build to flip the engine I had and go LS, then I decided to lower it down a few inches and give it some Detroit's, then.... You know how it goes!
I remember that from years ago in his backyard.

oatsk5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I basically have the same list as usual. But lack of money or other priorities Trump the blazer Nevermind its my daily.

Top Bottom