Body Swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bprice, May 6, 2007.

?

Switch the body or swith Motor & Trans?

Poll closed May 26, 2007.
  1. Switch the 1975 Body onto the 1991.

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Switch the motor and transmission

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. bprice

bprice Newbie

I have a 1975 GMC Jimmy with a tired 400 small block. I would like to update my ride. I love the open top but the gas milage is killing me and I like some modern features like fuel injection, overdrive, suspension, brakes, etc. I have WARn lock out hubs now. I have limited funds...and everybody is giving me different ideas. So I thought I would ask the experts here. I have 2 ideas

1. Get a crate motor with fuel injection and later get a tranny with overdrive.

2. There is a 91 Blazer down the road for 800 bucks. It has a 350 with a throttle body and a tranny with overdive. How difficult would it be to switch the bodies. My 75 GMC Jimmy on the more modern platform?

I guess I need help with the pros and cons of each. ANY help would be greatly appriciated

2. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I say get the 91 and sell me the 400. I love fuel injection, inless your making a race motor, can't beat the driveability. Swapping bodies can't be easy, but you don't have to in this case. I think you can cut the roof off and door tops to run the old style top....

3. k5onswampers

k5onswampers Registered Member

just swap the motor the fuel injection harness comes right out with the motor u just have to unbolt the ecu from on top of the glove box and fee the wires through it is really easy to do and the tranny is the same all it needs is the tv cable hooked to the throttle linkage. it would be an easy swap

4. peterpan

peterpan Registered Member

i allso say cut the top of the windshield and swap the 75 top doors and windshield frame to the 91 even if you have to pay a shop to swap the frame peice i have done it before not to bad at all

5. 54inches

54inches 1/2 ton status

Ditch the 75 and buy the 91!