Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bought the wife a honda

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SHAWNSTER, Aug 10, 2006.

1. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

We had sold our vw passat monday, so we only had the 1 car w/ no air at the moment- so my wife likes the Honda Pilot SUV -so we found an amhurst blue 2003 rear air 3rd seat leather(only thing it dont have is a sunroof)v6
    4wheel drive (haha)much larger than the pissat -they had it listed for $20,888 and i got them down to $16900 certified w/ 100k warranty- the salesman says i worked there ass claims they made $80 on the sale-i haggled for 1.5 hours w/ them on the price and almost walked out 2 times- but i did not get as good of a rate i got 5.9 % on the vw 2 years ago, and now i got 6.9%-

2. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    My wife likes the pilot also. But then we don't really have a need for another SUV. So we went with a 4 door sedan. Pontiac G6 GT. She likes that also.

We looked at a couple pilots and liked the options and how they drove. At least its 4 wheel drive. Kinda! Enjoy. Too bad I'm not rich I would get a new vehicle like every 3 months just for the heck of it.

Good job on the haggling!!!!!!!!

3. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

cool

well-we sold our vw cuz the warranty ran out last saturday, and that same day, a dad bought it for his 16 year old daughter-the sale finalized on monday- not to much-just $2300 more than the vw was and so much more of a vehivle for the money-also this was the cheapest cetified pre owned we could find and they had it at 20K all of the others were like 22-23k

4. 88-3/4t-bad boy

88-3/4t-bad boy 1/2 ton status

my friend has a g6 v6. those are pretty sweet. my grandmother got away from her suburban and went with a 06 element. i hate to say it but its pretty sweet. nice sound system and its pretty quick (for a box car) not to mention it can hold alot of crap. but it only gets like 24 mpg. but overall its fun. and it comes in one color now so you dont get stuck with the crappy plastic sidepanels. and you can just hose out the inside to clean it. it has a water proof floor (no carpet) and waterproof seats. but the lack of carpet insulation makes it noisy on the roads.

5. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I'm not sure about the piolet, but I drove a CRV for a week last year while a friend couldnt drive due to a bum leg,

anyways, felt really light, and was pretty quick and responsive, they due seem to have thin paneled interiors and plastics, reminds me of early 90's nissan truck interiors?

I dont have a purpose for one in my life but I like em :)

6. quicker

quicker 1/2 ton status

No please don’t say its so.

Honda??

I understand many have some merit but really the ridgeline is a joke and yet when you buy Honda you support it.

Yes I know I’m a nut case.

Still I think of the people at ford Chevy and Chrysler not supported by there own country. Thats pathetic..The domestic is not a bad vehicle at all and in most cases as fuel efficient as the import.

Sorry for the rant.

7. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I dont think your a nut case, but a simple fact is that a 7 year old import is higher quality when compared to a a domestic that is just 3 years old. Pretty bad in my opinion. I drive a 99 chevy every day, aside from the maintence I can look aout my window and and be happy I have it. I dont have a need for an import, I need a full size for space, towing, camping etc. If I had a business where I did not need these things a more fuel efficient car such as a honda or toyota would be a serious consideration.

using your logic, you want us to buy a product, even if less efficient/reliable or engineered just to support our country?

would you buy a cheap bumper over a stout one just to support that company? I buy a product based on it meeting my needs and wants, that to me is an AMERICAN viewpoint as well..

I could almost give a damn about a company who cant get a clue after being in business that long. Compare a 94 chevy car such a beretta to a 94 accord or a 94 toyota truck to a 94 chevy s10...Most companies make it for as long as they do based on flagship products, creative marketing, and this countries willingness to finance everything we own. Rather then the majority of us making a creative and well educated purchase. For example..home loan refinances/ second morgages, credit cards, loan balance stacking when you purchase a car.. rent to own, bad loan rates on auto loans...list goes on.

every one has their own agenda, and opinion for that matter.

8. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

I'm Canadian and our plants are closing too. I just bought my first new car and I needed a reliable family vehicle. I feel the same way as you about supporting domestic products but I had to do what was best for me and my family. I ended up buying a Hyundai. I don't think anybody out there has as high quality and as many options for the price.

I feel the same way about dealing with Union buisnesses. I am a Union member and would like to always deal with unionized labour but sometimes you have to look out for youself.

By the way I do still have a Chev truck wheeler and a 440 Dodge Ramcharger 2wdr. and support both Canadian and American industry with aftermarket parts.

9. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

How was the Passat? I'm pretty tall and stocky and it is one of the few cars I actually fit in pretty well. Was it a good car for you?

10. quicker

quicker 1/2 ton status

Ahh yes it takes a Canadian to be more patriotic than the American?? lol I am also still Canadian but live in California. Obviously there are bad domestics and yes especially gm likes to experiment with there cars and often this leads to reliability issues. Then again YES I would rather spend more we are not expecting to receive china wages how can we expect our fellow “north Americans” to accept poor wages. So yes it always costs more to buy a “good’ American vehicle.

That said the holy grail of import reliability is a joke.

I have owned a Lexus and a 7 year old ripped the door handle off. And a Toyota Celica blown motor at 150 thou. I see overrated imports all over. Oh yes I actually use my cars so import bull does not stand up in my real life situations.

I had a Chevy blazer s 10 z71 with the 31 inch tires I took out a traffic light pool and yes the pool spent so much time in the air it only bent the bumper slightly. Left the area before the pool landed and drove it out of the area to inspect the truck. Ran fine no serious damage.

Do that with an import I dare you!

I am not saying only domestics but there are excellent deals with domestics and all it takes is someone who wants to do the research instead of running to consumer reports for there opinion.

I bought a 2000 limited edition ford explorer for 10.000 out the door and knowing fully well all the possible problems. Spent another 2 thousand and it runs perfect and has done very well. Bought it with 30.000 miles has 80.000 now and still runs like a top. Oh and the blue book is around 12 000.00

Oh and I could buy two for the price you would pay for a plastic import.

I don’t work for any of the big three or ever had any affiliation but I have owned many domestics and am proud to have supported American companies.

11. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Sometimes things get a little cloudy on exactly what is "domestic" or "foreign". Some domestic models may be primarily "hecho en mexico", and some foreign models may be primarily made in Tennessee (or some other domestic location).

12. quicker

quicker 1/2 ton status

[FONT=&quot]
    True.

Don’t get me wrong I am actually sane I just like to remind people that the domestic companies primarily hire fellow Americans. At least make one of your cars American or at a minimum find out what ones are actually made in the us. I just hear about American families loosing there jobs and I feel bad.

Sorry to jack the post I am happy for you shawnster a new vehicle is always a blast. The bonus is no project blues just jump in and drive.[/FONT]

13. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

the passat was junk

I am so glad to get that thing paid off and sold- I sent the title to the guy saturday-that thing had so many problems- not bad ones, but every time it broke down and we had it towed, it was a hose that had come off- like the turbo hose came off 3-4 times and the car would go like 15mph cel came on 7 times in 2 years all covered but 1 $155 hose - but best bang for the buck-i paid $14500 for that car in 01 w/ 41k miles on it-fully loaded 1.8 turbo 4 would hall A$$-so far out of any car we drove-that had the most power and sold in last week for $9500 and piad it off(thank god)-

also on saturday I f"ed up the pilot-i was backing out of the garage and the door was not all the way up yet (not used the the suv yet) and i scratched the top in 2 places all the way down to metal-luckily its on the top and you cant see it (sh*t)

14. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I once haggled for 30 days :)

I knew what truck I wanted to buy and knew I could get it for the price I wanted in Phoenix. I lived in Flagstaff at the time and thought I would, at least, see if the local dealer would deal.

Of course they played the game so I left telling them I was in no hurry and would get it the next time I went down to Phoenix.

Every two or three days they would call and see if I changed my mind. After about 30 days of very heated arguements, (it was fun pissing them off) they finally broke down and gave me my deal.

I always end up walking out, fighting, yelling, making enemies at car dealerships. usually takes 4 or 5 hours to buy a new truck. This was the only time it took a month to turn the screws tight enough :)

15. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

the value is pretty comparable to that of a Yugo.

16. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

My wife does home health (physical therapist) so we needed something with alot of room to carry the things she needs to work with, but also got good mileage. We bought a CRV from her mother. That thing has 150,000 miles on it and we have bought a battery and tires. I have never owned anything but a Chevrolet. I'm all about buying american but I have to say that CRV is a quality vehicle.

17. 92k1500CO

92k1500CO Registered Member

buying domestic

I've never owned a FWD car. Always had v-8s. Mostly GM, but dodge too. When gas started CONSISTENTLY hitting $3 though, I figured it was time to go get a beater. Did some research, and got a 89 olds ciera with 120K on it. Don't laugh, the 3.3L with the 4 speed is damn near bulletproof, and I AVERAGE 30mpg in mixed driving. It's got 4 doors and a good sized trunk, so I can haul people around in comfort. Spend $1200 on it, put another $600 getting it tuned up and safe. (I hate carrying notes on cars, especially since you can't deduct the interest anymore) I'll drive it until it drops, which based on people i've talked to, will be at least another 50K or so. And it's sure nice getting double the mileage of my Blazer!

18. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

Wish you would've bought American. Better luck next time!

19. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

FWIW....80% of Hondas sold here, are built here, by us.

If you need anything for your Honda, send me a pm and I will get it for you cheap. I can get you anything as far as factory stuff including Honda accessories and repair parts and body parts. I have worked for Honda for the last 15 years. I am north of Dallas, so I can meet you somewhere if you need me to.
    I haven't been on the board much lately because I was selling the Blazer. The sale fell through, and because I have missed driving it, I am keeping it. I will be on here much more now. I will respond to PMs faster than anything else.