Brake booster options for space saving

SpeedlabDan

Keepin it trashy never classy
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
So I'm trying another set of fender well headers but in the event that the Vac booster is in the way, has anyone had any luck converting to a hydro boost setup from a square?
I like this idea as it will also work with future hydro steer options. More room is better right?

IMG_20210301_174353_674.jpg

20200725_154251.jpg

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
95 3500

Shawn

Nuckin Futz!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
I like my HB but there's a lot to it to convert correctly. Pedal, lines, fw plate, etc

SpeedlabDan

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Awesome I'll have to nerd out on the thread a bit more. I do have a 2001 hb from the donor truck for my Dually. I didn't use it unfortunately it was metric where the lines connected. I'll have to see if I can adapt it over spending on a new unit

ashman

What's a pigeonrat??
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Awesome I'll have to nerd out on the thread a bit more. I do have a 2001 hb from the donor truck for my Dually. I didn't use it unfortunately it was metric where the lines connected. I'll have to see if I can adapt it over spending on a new unit
The one I used was metric too. It's a better connection anyway, so I just swapped to a power steering pump and steering box that were also metric. I did look into having lines made that would have metric on one end and standard on the other, but it was more expensive than I'd hoped, and of course would mean if I ever blew a line on the trail there was no hope of replacing it.

Shawn

Nuckin Futz!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Some good info here.

I went and did flexible braided lines on my setup with AN adapters. Makes for a cleaner install.
20190323_155408.jpg

6872xtc

make mine modified
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I did hydroboost on my '70 after having a vacuum booster from a '79 on it. With the vacuum booster, I had to make an extension for the pedal rod which told me that on these trucks, the rod isn't the same as with a '73 and newer. The extra brackets and linkage that is causing the booster to hang out from the firewall on the '72 and older, make the pedal ratio and distance different from the '73 and up. The odd thing is that manual brake trucks had the master cylinder bolted directly to the firewall.
So when I checked out going to hydroboost after doing the rear disc conversion, I decided to buy one from Vanco after researching some. Unfortunately, he didn't know how the factory booster mounted and his adapter plate didn't have the pushrod hole in the correct place. The pushrod was the correct length though, so I had a new plate cut with a water jet. Mine works well, but the pedal effort is a little more than I would prefer.
Vanco supplied hoses and adapters to make the connections to my steering box and pump as well as assemble the hoses myself.
I don't know what @ashman did, if i saw it, i forgot. It would be good to see his.

SpeedlabDan

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Abspowerbrake.com supposedly does the complete conversion spec'd out to your build. I haven't explored it yet as I'm busy spending money on pistons and rods 'gain

SpeedlabDan

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
No prices yet I'll have to check on my pc, they don't seem to be setup for mobile online. Some options though.

Screenshot_20210304-074349_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Gentleman Jimmy

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
CPP can spec out a hydro boost for you too, they are very knowledgeable with conversions and have good customer service. Their boosters are new bosch units and work great.
I picked up one of their street beast boosters when I converted my 14 bolt to discs. I used an 80’s k30 MC and a proportioning valve from CPP set up for rear discs. I actually just finished my power steering reservoir with dual AN returns. Slow pedal return was my only issue, but all good now. Tons of stopping power and frees up a lot of room under the hood.

00EED330-2831-4CEF-B3F2-626129C9361D.jpeg

Top Bottom