CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

MI "Bring a Trailer" (BaT) auction for Chalet #0429 in Grand Rapids

a77blazerchalet

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score

I posted previously about its Hemmings and dealer page listings here, noting its original $59,900 price and subsequent $10 grand price hike. Both pages have since erased the asking price when it got listed at BaT. It was both described to me via an email straight from the seller and now in the BaT auction as a 44-year one-owner rig that was kept by the Michigan Chevy dealership it was delivered to in 1976. What an amazing time capsule story! However, the nit-picking thing about it that bothers me is how it has that "Superior, Hamburg New York" plate on the lower left rear of the camper unit. Superior is a used car lot a little ways south of Buffalo, it's still in business, and one of their guys confirmed it was one of their plates. If you scroll through the '79 Caddy's pics they have in current inventory, one of those plates is on its left rear, too. I asked the Chalet sellers in early March what the deal was with that, and one of them turned around and emailed me to ask if I knew whether Superior was involved with the camper installs. Eight days after that, the same guy emailed to say the Chevy dealership guy was traveling in NY and stopped by the used car lot to get it serviced. In the BaT auction comments section I asked the sellers to repeat the story (for everyone to see) and then asked if the old guy kept any kind of receipt for the work. No answer to that yet.

So, how many of you with old '70s 4x4s would choose a used car lot to do work on your truck over a specialty GM 4x4 shop? How many of you with old RVs would choose a used car lot over an RV center for service work? How many of you who own or owned a Chevy dealership would choose a used car lot to work on your vintage GM classic instead of dropping into the local Buffalo area GM dealership to dazzle the workers with something they likely never saw in person or even heard about? But well, maybe it was a Saturday when everybody except used car lots are closed and maybe it was emergency where he split a radiator hose. But how many of you would permit some used car lot to permanently glue on a plate like that on your GM classic, no matter what repair work was done?

#0429 back.jpg

a77blazerchalet

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Proud of you @a77blazerchalet for laying it out there on the auction thread.
Thanks for the kind words! Alas, there has already been a behind-the-scenes bit of "Added Drama"™ courtesy of the sellers about my comments, but I'll save that 'til after the auction ends. And this morning, instead of my comment appearing almost instantaneously online, it's gone into some kind of moderator approval hold,** most likely because of the links I included to the current 'sportscars of RVs' company ChinookRV, and to the archive version of some guy's history of Chinook collection. Understandable, I suppose, to filter out idiot spammers linking to virus-plagued sites.

**(Day-later edit: I put in an additional comment with no links, about how all '76s were painted the same color combo. It didn't appear either, so a few hours later, I emailed the BaT website to ask if there was some glitch with that, and around 8 in the evening, one of their guys said my two comments ended up in their spam filter, so he fished them out and all is good now)

Last edited:

a77blazerchalet

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
..it blew the predictions out of the water!..
Well, sorta. My own private prediction was that the seemingly more skeptic buyers there (compared to ebay or the couple of Mecum auctions) would top out at $35 or $40 grand, since that's what the top end sales figures were lately for rigs that had sizeable restoration problems that the buyers were probably oblivious to. In this auction, if you go back down into the bids, the last of the three bidders topped out at $47,500, and from that point on it was between just two guys, both of whom appeared to be totally unaware of the initial $59,900 Hemmings / sellers' website price or the subsequent Buy-it-Now $69,900 ebay price. Technically, the auction winner could have bought it at the first price and then set fire to a nearly $60 grand stack of $100 bills to have exactly what he has today. The losing bidder, by the way, is the same guy who won the other BaT auction on Feb 25 for the allegedly 57 miles '75 Blazer for $112 grand.

Notice in the comments section that the sellers never did provide an answer about whether a sales receipt exists showing what kind of work a New York state used car dealership did to the rig that warranted them gluing their company's plate to the back of the camper unit, and they never did completely answer the request to provide a photo of the reverse side of the title. A title, for emphasis, with an undated sales transfer and no official Michigan printout figure for the mileage when it was printed in 2009.

Meanwhile, now that the auction is over, the "Added Drama"™ item I mentioned in my second post here was the sellers emailing me directly to say that if I was neither a bidder or someone actively helping to find a buyer for them, that I should basically stop placing comments at their listing. Sweetheart that I am, I replied very politely to say that if the sellers were displeased with the fame of the BaT auction site being known for its unique "chatty" atmosphere stemming from freely offered comments from all enthusiasts, then instead of griping to me about this, he needed to address that to the BaT staff, who I cc'd in my email reply. A little less than three hours later, he replied with an email saying I should continue to comment at the auction.

BaTweird.jpg

bigjimmy82

1-Ton Status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow, you’re right, the chat is what I read most on BaT! You learn so much, even if not buying the vehicle. Again, kudos to you in tracking these rare k5’s!

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'm shocked the auction went that way. When it gets down to it with one going for record money, it is now the new perceived standard for Chalets.

Right or wrong, every crackpot with a rotting Chalet in the backyard is going to think they are sitting on a gold mine.

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score

I posted previously about its Hemmings and dealer page listings here, noting its original $59,900 price and subsequent $10 grand price hike. Both pages have since erased the asking price when it got listed at BaT. It was both described to me via an email straight from the seller and now in the BaT auction as a 44-year one-owner rig that was kept by the Michigan Chevy dealership it was delivered to in 1976. What an amazing time capsule story! However, the nit-picking thing about it that bothers me is how it has that "Superior, Hamburg New York" plate on the lower left rear of the camper unit. Superior is a used car lot a little ways south of Buffalo, it's still in business, and one of their guys confirmed it was one of their plates. If you scroll through the '79 Caddy's pics they have in current inventory, one of those plates is on its left rear, too. I asked the Chalet sellers in early March what the deal was with that, and one of them turned around and emailed me to ask if I knew whether Superior was involved with the camper installs. Eight days after that, the same guy emailed to say the Chevy dealership guy was traveling in NY and stopped by the used car lot to get it serviced. In the BaT auction comments section I asked the sellers to repeat the story (for everyone to see) and then asked if the old guy kept any kind of receipt for the work. No answer to that yet.

So, how many of you with old '70s 4x4s would choose a used car lot to do work on your truck over a specialty GM 4x4 shop? How many of you with old RVs would choose a used car lot over an RV center for service work? How many of you who own or owned a Chevy dealership would choose a used car lot to work on your vintage GM classic instead of dropping into the local Buffalo area GM dealership to dazzle the workers with something they likely never saw in person or even heard about? But well, maybe it was a Saturday when everybody except used car lots are closed and maybe it was emergency where he split a radiator hose. But how many of you would permit some used car lot to permanently glue on a plate like that on your GM classic, no matter what repair work was done?

View attachment 372632
Yeah why would you think they would be honest sellers.

Moody Bricker

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Crackpot,I've been call worse, but I've moved it from the back yard to the driveway, and got the registration for this year, and a new tarp to cover it up hope to get on the road again this spring, unless someone with big money shows up,,yea-right.

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Crackpot,I've been call worse, but I've moved it from the back yard to the driveway, and got the registration for this year, and a new tarp to cover it up hope to get on the road again this spring, unless someone with big money shows up,,yea-right.
I think you got the gist of where I was going with that statement. Not everyone that has one knows them like you do. But for the ones that only go by what they see on tv auctions or the web, they are going to think the one they have is worth more only because that one went for so much.

It's not a Chalet thing either but any old car that someone has hung on to forever. You know the ones you approve when you see a rotting Chevelle or Camaro in a driveway and ask if they want to sell it. They always respond in a couple of ways, not for sale, I'm going to restore it someday or I know it's worth a lot because I've seen the same car sell at auction for "x" amount so mine got be close to it in value.

Moody Bricker

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I'm a crackpot and hangheroner, cause I have my first car,68 camaro,,I like the chalet lot more,maybee I'm mad,put a moter bike on the front bumper,and tow the camaro and see the usa in my cheverlay

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
So I'm a crackpot and hangheroner, cause I have my first car,68 camaro,,I like the chalet lot more,maybee I'm mad,put a moter bike on the front bumper,and tow the camaro and see the usa in my cheverlay
Are you drunk? Hard to tell if you are thinking I'm calling you those names or just being sarcastic.

Just to be clear, no offense was intended in what I said.

Moody Bricker

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think its not the camper,its the trip maybe they get. her rocks off by buying and selling trucks I'll like seeing things and good friends, I think there only 2 or 3 chalets out there,thats people that use them not the ones that are just keep in collections.

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think its not the camper,its the trip maybe they get. her rocks off by buying and selling trucks I'll like seeing things and good friends, I think there only 2 or 3 chalets out there,thats people that use them not the ones that are just keep in collections.
I bought mine in better shape than any I have seen other than probably 3 that were posted here in the past few years, paid $2500 for it used it for 10 years, and when I was done with it sold it to a friend for $2500, he used it for a couple of years and then sold it for $2500 to a guy in Tempe AZ who supposedly wanted to restore it with his kid.
It's nice but I think I can do better so I have a stripped shell that I will custom build possibly on the back of a crew cab.

Top Bottom