CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

busted starter bolt fix needed

steelsoldiers

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Well, I found out why that starter didn't work for the guy I bought the K20 off of. I got to looking at it yesterday and discovered that the rear brace was only bolted up on one end and one of the starter bolts was missing, dumba$$. I tried to put a new bolt in, only to find that the old one had been broken off in the hole /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. I have had to fix one like that before unfortunately. I drilled it and used an extractor, which broke off in the bolt. Then, I had to use diamond tipped dremel bits to grind down the broken extractor enough to get it out. Then, I used a really $$ extractor to finally get the bolt stub out. Does anyone else have a better idea? I hate the thoughts of laying under the truck drilling crap out over my head and stuff with cutting oil dripping on me. It's either that or keep parking on a hill to bump start it. Anyone have any other thoughts? Who makes the best extractors? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

chickenass

Registered Member
Reaction score
When I bought my truck it didn't have the starter brace so I picked one up. I went to start my truck to turn it around so I could put it in and it sheared one of the starter bolts. I used a left hand drill bit and it dug in about 3/8 of an inch and pulled the bolt right out. I didn't even have to use an extractor. I had to shop around to find the bit, but it was well worth it.

steelsoldiers

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Dang dude, first post and it's a good one /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I forgot about the old left handed bits. I'll have to do some calling around for that. Thanks.

Chris

tRustyK5

Big meanie
Staff member
Super Moderator
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
The square type extractors are the best, and of course you should use the largest one that you can. When I sheared my steering arm bolts coming out of Lower Helldorado Me and FWP used his left hand bits on the 3 sheared studs. The studs never moved, but I still got a good sized hole to drive my extractor into. I bought a set of the tapered square extractors from Napa and they did the job just fine.

Of course I wasn't drilling over my head.../forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

uglychevyZZ4

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
also, if it isnt too deep in there to reach, put a nut over the end, or hole if you will, and tack some bead in there welding the nut to the bolt, maybe finesse out slow n gentle, worked for me a month ago.
Rob

steelsoldiers

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Well, unfortunately it is broken off down in the whole by about 1/2" or more /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I have one of those square extractors and a brand new bit to match it. I'll give it a shot first. Then, if that doesn't work I'll try a bigger and bigger reverse bit. Eventually I'll get to a point when there might be just a little thread and I can tap it out. It's raining right now so I might not do anything /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Top Bottom