C10 Ball Joints?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73k5blazer, Nov 26, 2005.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Build(s):
    Sorry, I know it's a 2wd, but figured someone here might know.

I need to do ball joints on my '86 c10, and the parts books are giving some spurious answers.
    Some list 2 different lower joints, 1 being 'oversized'.
    Some only list 1 lower joint
    The GM book lists 2 different numbers for c10, but doesn't say what the heck the difference is.

Anyone know why the 2 different numbers for the lower joint? Do these things have a bad history of reaming themselves a bigger hole in the lower a-arm or something?

2. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Thats weird. I did the uppers on my C10 recently and never had a choice but I didn't need lowers so.....
    LMC catalog only shows one number for 1/2 ton and one for 3/4 ton :confused:
    I don't think they can just sell an oversized one if they were to egg out as you would still need to reame the hole back to a tapper.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Maybe...

Not sure about an 86--but an 88 IFS chevy C1500 we just did ball joints on had 2 listings--and the ones we got the first trip to the parts store were too small of course!--not by much,maybe 1/8"--but enough so they won't work!. :mad:

I always thought all the 73-87 1/2 tons were the same--I did run into a few cases where the lowers that fit a 3/4 ton were in there instead...how GM did that without using the knuckles from a 3/4 ton,and the spindles and bearings and 8 lug rotors I dont know..maybe only some "heavy duty camper" options or something..so far,all the ones I've changed were "normal"sized 1/2 ton ones..maybe pop one out and bring it with you to the store to match up???..bring your micrometer or calipers--chances are the parts clerk wont have any,or know how to use them... :rolleyes: :crazy: